green hot pixel

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by csonni, Dec 11, 2008.

1. csonni macrumors newbie

On one of our iPod Touchs (1G), we have a bright green hot pixel that has developed. It's quite noticeable on any black screen. It is still within the year warranty and we are wondering if it is worth contacting Apple on this.

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I don't believe there is a creature alive outside of Apple Corporate Headquarters - that actually knows the warranty / exchange policy for dead / stuck pixels.

Green is the most noticeable sub-pixel of the 3 primaries, as it's right-smack-in-the-middle of the visible spectrum. It's not uncommon to have stuck blues and even sometimes reds that go unnoticed. But green - ack.

(I've got 7 stuck greenies on my iMac, FTW!)

3. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

4. three macrumors 6502a

three

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

on computers it takes 6 dead pixels.

an ipod takes ONE, so your covered.

(this is from a genius when i got mine fixed.)

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Question though - does a sub-pixel (what he has wrong) count as a whole pixel, or a sub-pixel?

I've seen LCD vendors only count WHOLE pixels (either completely black, or completely white) as criteria. It's annoying, I know.

7. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

A pixel is a pixel, the sub / whole distinction is really trivial as really counting are all colors dead vs one color being stuck or dead. I haven't heard any cases where only one color doesn't work in a particular pixel, it's either the whole pixel is dead, or stuck on one color.

8. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Well seeing as each of the three primaries is controlled by a separate transistor, it would make sense that if only one transistor is non-functional, the other two colors will still respond correctly. That exact thing happened to me with my imac, with a green stuck pixel in the way upper right. Fortunately, it was stuck right on the white "Macintosh HD" label, so it would appear fine most of the time. The pixel started working about a day or two after.