Green light from camera on when not in use.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by coltrain, Dec 4, 2009.

1. coltrain macrumors newbie

Can someone help. Our green light comes on for our camera (on our Mac 10.4.11) when we are not using it. It also comes on when photobooth and ichat are not running. Does this mean that we have a virus, someone somewhere is watching us, or what?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Is it on all the time? Or just intermittently?

3. coltrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Just comes on for seconds at a time. Some times longer 2-5 secs and sometimes 1.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Am I missing something here? Have you specified what kind of Mac you are using? :confused:

If it is an iMac (pre-aluminum model), I had the same problem and had to adjust the shielding behind the LCD bezel at the top to keep it from making a contact.

6. coltrain thread starter macrumors newbie

A lot of times we will be working in Word, XCEL, Illustrator, photoshop,
    sometimes when we are online. No one program to be specific. I can tell you that it happens most when we are on the internet and that ICHAT and Photobooth are not up and running. Thanks.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You might also look at Activity Monitor to make sure the iChat or Photobooth processes aren't running. Even though you don't see them on the Dock, the process could still be active. Occasionally, apps don't shut down properly. Also, there are flash settings that can affect your camera, if you've given flash the permission to access it:
    Picture 11.jpg

8. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Sometimes my kids will leave Photo Booth open on their account and the green light will stay on when I am logged in.

Also, Comic Life (for some reason) makes the green light illuminate on the iSight camera.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have this exact same issue on my iMac G5, running 10.4.11. Pushing gently on the back of the computer makes the light shut off, at least temporarily. Also, this computer has been opened by a non-Apple (but certified) tech to replace a bad hard drive. I suspect a loose connector somewhere as the cause in my case.

10. CHICHIMAN macrumors newbie

Be Careful!!!

This Problem Has Happened To 3 Of My Classmates, And It Turns Out Their Cameras Have Been Taking Pictures Of Them At 1 Minutes Intervals

Go To (user Name) > Library > Cosign
    And Check Out All Your Pictures!!!!

Delete Them Imiddiately