Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GazNicki2582

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2017
Aargh

Woke up this morning to the green line of death. About 7mm inwards from the left of the bezel at the top. (Runs straight through the middle of the ‘R’ key on the keyboard).

Phone hasn’t been dropped, it was working fine at 00:27 when I put it on charge and went to bed. It didn’t move, has been kept in a flip case since day one ... I’m gutted.

Guess what? It’s JUST over 12 months old.

Am I on my own here, or will Apple help? Gutted that a £1000 phone would do this after just 1 year.

LKN

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Yorkshire
Aargh

Woke up this morning to the green line of death. About 7mm inwards from the left of the bezel at the top. (Runs straight through the middle of the ‘R’ key on the keyboard).

Phone hasn’t been dropped, it was working fine at 00:27 when I put it on charge and went to bed. It didn’t move, has been kept in a flip case since day one ... I’m gutted.

Guess what? It’s JUST over 12 months old.

Am I on my own here, or will Apple help? Gutted that a £1000 phone would do this after just 1 year.

Apple should replace it under consumer law. Was phone purchased directly from Apple?

Reactions: GazNicki2582

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Apple should replace it under consumer law. Was phone purchased directly from Apple?

I've just done some research on Google and it seems UK Consumer Laws require SIX (!!!!!!) years of warranty coverage. EU laws (well for the time being...) require two. So OP is covered either way.

In the rest of the world if you take your 366-day-old iPhone to the Genius Bar they'll tell you to pound sand.

Color me amazed

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I've just done some research on Google and it seems UK Consumer Laws require SIX (!!!!!!) years of warranty coverage. EU laws (well for the time being...) require two. So OP is covered either way.

In the rest of the world if you take your 366-day-old iPhone to the Genius Bar they'll tell you to pound sand.

Color me amazed

You comments are not so accurate.

Many have taken an out of warranty Apple device to Apple and had it replaced without a charge. It is somewhat rare but I have actually witnessed it before.

Last edited:
Reactions: s15119

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018

Color me amazed
Wait, what ?? In the uk you can take a 5 year old iPhone that has a logic board problem and get it repaired/replaced for free ??

GazNicki2582

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2017
The phone is part of a contract with UK Vodaphone, which is a 2-year contract.

From my experience, the unit issues fall under Apple and not Vodaphone.

I need to book in at a Genius Bar, so will try and get in over the weekend. I’m in Wales now finishing a family holiday, so will get to Manchester on Sunday morning.

Think I need to arm myself with the consumer right law too. That’s a solid piece of information. I had no idea there was a 6-year allowance on consumer goods in the UK!
[doublepost=1564076691][/doublepost]

Color me amazed
Ah, just looked and it’s not that clear.

You have 6 years to make a claim with the small claims court for any faults that occur during the first 6 months of life. Damn.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
The phone is part of a contract with UK Vodaphone, which is a 2-year contract.

From my experience, the unit issues fall under Apple and not Vodaphone.

I need to book in at a Genius Bar, so will try and get in over the weekend. I’m in Wales now finishing a family holiday, so will get to Manchester on Sunday morning.

Think I need to arm myself with the consumer right law too. That’s a solid piece of information. I had no idea there was a 6-year allowance on consumer goods in the UK!
[doublepost=1564076691][/doublepost]
Ah, just looked and it’s not that clear.

You have 6 years to make a claim with the small claims court for any faults that occur during the first 6 months of life. Damn.

I'm not sure that's what the language on their website says, but since it's just over 12 months old it does seem that they will replace it for free under one of the applicable regulations

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    71.9 KB · Views: 135
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.