Green pixels on screen - what is it?!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by duncanapple, Jun 10, 2014.

1. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Hello,

I have a bit of a weird one. I have a 27inch iMac (see sig) running Aperture 3. I recently bought a Fujifilm X100s (awesome camera btw) and took it out for its first spin this weekend.

The pics turned out great with the exception of one weird thing. Every single picture had 4-5 bright green pixels right smack in the middle of the frame. I don't mean where it could only be seen when zoomed to 100%; it was visible all the way zoomed out - looked like a pin prick of bright neon green (in a lot of cases right between peoples eyes!). My first thought when I saw it was my iMac had some stuck pixels. However if I moved the image around the dot(s) stayed in the same spot in the image, ruling that out. I opened the photos in both Aperture and then Preview; still the same dots. I then took some more pics and then opened those in Aperture and Preview as well. All the same result, same bright green pixels.

At this point i figured the camera was defective so I sent it back to amazon and got the replacement in the mail today. I fired off some test pics thinking for sure it would be better; that was not the case. I am still seeing those green dots. What gives!!!

The only other thing I can say is when flipping between pics in aperture, the dots are not visible while the pic is loading, but after a second or two once the pic snaps into focus on my screen (I am assuming you other aperture users know what I mean?) the dots are right there and visible.

Has anyone ever encountered this? Scratching my head here.... :confused:

----------

I found one article saying this may be a "hot" pixel on the camera. What are the odds I am 0/2 for defective cameras? I've had two canon DSLRs before this, countless point and shoots, etc. Never had something like this. Seems very suspect?

----------

I found one article saying this may be a "hot" pixel on the camera. What are the odds I am 0/2 for defective cameras? I've had two canon DSLRs before this, countless point and shoots, etc. Never had something like this. Seems very suspect?

2. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

just spitballing here but here it goes anyway

try opening the image on another computer or device. also, how about uploading it to a webpage and see if it persists (facebook, flickr, instawhever)

for some reason, though there is no way this is valid, I thought it might be the focus points weirdly represented on the pic in aperture (which I have no idea about it), but since they also appear in preview, it can't be that.

how about posting an example here too?

3. duncanapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure. This is the back of my couch (thought the dark color would help to show the dot). Ignore some of the fuzz on the couch, but focus almost right in the middle of the pic. There is a small but bright neon green cluster of pixels. I also cropped in on it so you can see what the pixels look like.

I know it may seem minor, but unfort this spot of the frame just so happens to be right on the face of a person when you take a close up picture. Its surprisingly noticeable.

I did send back camera number 2 today. Not sure what I will do if #3 also does it. Hate to be "that" guy but I don't think this is normal?

Attached Files:

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

5. duncanapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh and I had the same thought you did about the focus point so I turned on the show "show focus point" in aperture.... that is represented by a white box, not the dot. Unless you are saying its some sort of bug and that dot is the exact center. Hmm?

6. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Just some hot pixels. With millions of them there are bound to be a few. Check your manual to see if there is a function to remap the sensor. Worst case would be to send it in to Fuji for a remap.

Unless you are printing big it likely won't show up - particularly depending on the subject. If it does a quick clone can remove it.

Unfortunately you will never get a perfect sensor but it should be able to be mapped out.

7. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

sorry, couldn't resist

in any case, I would definitely not keep defective hardware, don't care if it was the 25th I'd take back

8. duncanapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Well just a follow up. Must have been bad sensor pixels and, thankfully, third time is a charm. The third camera arrived today and I snapped off a couple pics of the same couch to test; the problem is gone. Im really happy too because this is an otherwise awesome camera. :)

9. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

great news!!

enjoy!!

10. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

Glad you got a result - sounds like they just returned the same camera to you the first time - did you check the serial number?
    Anyway - all's well that ends well.