Green Screen of Death?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by josepht, Apr 20, 2011.

1. josepht macrumors member

josepht

I began getting this really weird, patterned screen several months ago. It's reminiscent of Windows' Blue Screen of Death because nothing can be done to get out of it except restart the computer by holding down the power button. The odd part is that the color varies from occurrence to occurrence. It can be blue, red, often gray, and tonight, it was green. I can't take a screenshot to show you, but I did take a zoomed-in photo of it with my iPhone.

What could be causing this? Over the course of a few months, it has been happening with more and more regularity. And, as far as I can see, there is no pattern. It just seems to happen.

I finally got worried enough about it that, last week, I backed all my data up and wiped the hard drive. I reinstalled all the major things that I use with the latest versions available, leaving off extraneous software downloaded from the Web. Other than the standard Apple stuff, I have the latest versions of IBM SPSS, Office, Photoshop, Epson printer and scanner software, and VLC.

I am using a 24" iMac from 2008: 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB factory-installed RAM, OS X 10.6.7. What could be causing all this? I've searched online and can't find an answer. I will post the photo of tonight's green screen pattern.

[​IMG]

2. Tourach macrumors newbie

Green Screen of Death

Hey buddy,

I was googling to find more people that are experiencing this problem. It is due to misconfigured drivers shipped by Apple, and there is little you can do to solve the problem.

I have filled a lawsuit against them, as they have repeatedly refused to help. Your story would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Tourach

3. PS65 macrumors 6502

Bit excessive? I'm sure if you approach them in a polite way and ask them to inspect they would help?

4. F-six macrumors member

Just tonight, half an hour ago, I got something like this. For the first time ever in 20 years of using Macs. Suddenly there was a dark transparent curtain dropping over the screen and I got the message that I had to hold the button to shut down the computer and then start up again... And that's what I did, couldn't do anything else.

I have an iMac 24" 2007, 2,8 GHz, 4 Gb, running Lion.