Green Screen Spill

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by arjen92, Jan 5, 2012.

1. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Hey,

I was wondering how they remove green screen spill in the hollywood world. I'm watching some stuff from the making of the Lord of the Rings, and the knights reflect the green screen in their armor. Of course, in the movie, you don't see this. So how do they remove this reflection?

2. YESimBLUNTED macrumors member

Not sure how they did it in that movie, although I don't doubt it was some help of proprietary software.

At times when we had spill and our usual After Effects work arounds did not help, we would actually make a comp with two layers of the same video and mask around whatever it was, say in this instance a piece of armor, feather the mask and pull some of the green out of the bottom layer with a curves adjustment. Then tint the whole comp a bit and it would work out great. Although I am sure there are other ways.

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Don't forget also that in some of the BTS shots it's not with the main movie camera so you don't know what the "real" camera is seeing. Don't forget also that they could be in the process of setting up the shots still and therefore not have got onto positioning away from reflections yet.

Does anyone know if you could use negative fill to get rid of the reflections?

4. WRP macrumors 6502a

Spill is different than reflections. There are many ways to mitigate spill. First is to light it properly. Second is color correction. Third is spill suppression.

For the reflections it was probably roto'd out and replaced.

5. mBox macrumors 68020

Your bang on as far as options such as Ultimatte. Its all in the CC and Spill Suppression is technically that as well. Its just geared to specific color values e.g red, green or blue.