Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isethx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I need to purchase a green screen kit. I have the latest version of Final Cut Studio.

I was looking into one of these for a kit:

http://www.tubetape.net/servlet/the-Complete-Studio-Kits-cln-Video-Kits/Categories

What do you guys think? Would you recommend something else?

Also is Final Cut Studio all the software I would need? Or maybe some motion backgrounds?

I'm new to this and really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
The biggest trick to green screen is the lighting. If you do not light evenly and properly you will go insane trying to do a good clean key.

I have had some good luck with a basic key in FCP. But I prefer the Boris Continuum Keyers, As it gives you more options like spill suppression and secondary keying.

As far as motion backgrounds, once you key out the green you can put the video over anything you want. That is all your preference.

But again, be sure you light evenly and properly if you want to make your life a lot less stressful. (or get used to creating masks in AE)

isethx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Thanks for your help. I'll look into a Final Cut plug in.

How does the actual green screen kit with included lights look?

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Thanks for your help. I'll look into a Final Cut plug in.

How does the actual green screen kit with included lights look?

Soft Boxes are the way to go...I dont know anything about the brand they sell. I personally use the Lowell Rifas and am very happy with those. For backdrops check around. I have the pipe and drape setup from BackDrop Alley. Decent quality and not too expensive. PM me and I can send you a couple of the green screen things I've done.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I need to purchase a green screen kit. I have the latest version of Final Cut Studio.

I was looking into one of these for a kit:

http://www.tubetape.net/servlet/the-Complete-Studio-Kits-cln-Video-Kits/Categories

What do you guys think? Would you recommend something else?

Also is Final Cut Studio all the software I would need? Or maybe some motion backgrounds?

I'm new to this and really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Lighting is definitely the key (no pun intended). Be sure you have enough even light on the screen to pull a good key, but not so much that you get green bounce on the talent. And be sure the talent is well lit in a way that won't cast shadows on the screen (or at least not on anywhere on the screen that is in your shot).

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Personally I key everything in After Effects as the key light filter that comes as standard is brilliant.

It works for me because I get CS5.5 and soon CS6 free through my university but if you don't have any budget then it is possible in final cut although it will be much harder and take longer to achieve the same effect as after effects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.