Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Is there any free software that i can get for my mac that will allow me to make green screen effect and other things?

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
nothing comes to mind, it's a hard thing to code/develop I can't see anybody giving it away. I don't know of or heard of a open source video editor / green screener. Shake might still have a 30 day demo you could play with.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
nothing comes to mind, it's a hard thing to code/develop I can't see anybody giving it away. I don't know of or heard of a open source video editor / green screener. Shake might still have a 30 day demo you could play with.

Cool, Im downloading it now. :)

MacForMeOneDay

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
Cinelerra for Mac?

Shake is too compacted for me. any thing els?

I'm not a Mac user (yet), but Cinelerra is a non-linear video editor with chromamatte capabilities for Linux. It looks like someone got a good portion of it to work on Mac OSX. You could give it a try....
Note found here...
https://init.linpro.no/pipermail/skolelinux.no/cinelerra/2005-January/002912.html

Project is here:
http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e0025274/cinelerra/Cinelerra_on_Darwin.html

I'd be interested to know if/how it works for you.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I think there's an iMovie plug in for a green screen. Might want to check into that.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
not to jack the thread, i heard you can do green screen in final cut express is this true?
i want to use green screen in an upcoming project but all i have is express

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
not to jack the thread, i heard you can do green screen in final cut express is this true?

No built in keyer.

Try VKey2, it's a vector based keyer plugin so it's a lot easier. Does cost money though… HERE

banjomamo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
USA
shake is probably a little advanced for what you need if youre looking for cheap stuff and it actually is lousy at keying poorly shot green screen - it was meant for keying well lit high res plates so its algorithms dont compensate for artifacts and the noise of dv.

i would suggest playing with the trial of after effects. it has a keyer built in but it has its limitations too. but at least youll find lots of tutorials online for free on how to key in after effects. if you are shooting dv youll have artifacts on the edges of your key which makes cleaning up the spill a pain and very difficult. dvgarage mentioned earlier has a good and cheap plugin called dvmatte pro. conduit is newer but ive never used it - i also think its just for motion. i thought dvmatte pro was super easy and it pulls a decent key on poorly shot footage. they even have some video tutorials that you should make sure to take the time to watch because they go over the basics of getting a good key. i would also recommend primatte but sometimes the shot determines the software that will work best.

none of these things i mentioned are free unfortunately. if you want to play around and learn some of the vfx software look into some of the online training groups like fxphd or pixel corps. you can subscribe for a nominal fee and then get training and access to a lot of this software.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
shake is probably a little advanced for what you need if youre looking for cheap stuff and it actually is lousy at keying poorly shot green screen - it was meant for keying well lit high res plates so its algorithms dont compensate for artifacts and the noise of dv.

i would suggest playing with the trial of after effects. it has a keyer built in but it has its limitations too. but at least youll find lots of tutorials online for free on how to key in after effects. if you are shooting dv youll have artifacts on the edges of your key which makes cleaning up the spill a pain and very difficult. dvgarage mentioned earlier has a good and cheap plugin called dvmatte pro. conduit is newer but ive never used it - i also think its just for motion. i thought dvmatte pro was super easy and it pulls a decent key on poorly shot footage. they even have some video tutorials that you should make sure to take the time to watch because they go over the basics of getting a good key. i would also recommend primatte but sometimes the shot determines the software that will work best.

none of these things i mentioned are free unfortunately. if you want to play around and learn some of the vfx software look into some of the online training groups like fxphd or pixel corps. you can subscribe for a nominal fee and then get training and access to a lot of this software.

is alex lindsay the owner of Pixel corps?

Raffles

macrumors member
May 30, 2007
USA

No, you can, contrary to what killr_b said. Use the filters in the Key folder of the Video Filters. Color key has worked the best for me, but not that great.

fcerookie

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
green screen

I'm using FCE and shot some video with a green screen behind the subject. I understand that I can use the chroma key video generator effect to drop a different color in where the green screen is, but I don't know how this works. I'm fairly new to FCE, so if anyone can explain the steps, I'd appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.