Green "snow" on external Display w/ i7 MacbookPro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cmk2k, May 3, 2010.

1. cmk2k macrumors newbie

I set up my Dell S2409W with my new i7 MacbookPro and have green flickering pixels all over my display. I didn't have the issue with my older C2D MacbookPro, but can't check if it would be there now too since I don't have it anymore.
    I tried checking with Dell's website to find some help with the problem, but couldn't find anything related.
    Does anyone here have an idea what could cause the flickering?

PS - When I initially plugged the display in, the problem didn't occur. Just started after watching Hulu about an hour ago. I also tried turning both the laptop and the display off and unplugging and replugging the display.

2. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

When I've had that problem before it was a loose connection. Make sure everything is connected tightly. May be a bad connector.

3. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I use the Dell 2408WFP monitor with my '09 MP. It occasionally exhibits a similar 'technicolor snow' behavior when the monitor has slept. The bug has persisted through several updates to both the video drivers and the OS.

Since turning off the monitor and powering it back on fixes the issue, I don't stress too much that I haven't found a lasting cure.

4. cmk2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I've tried unplugging all the connections (both DVI cable and the Mac Display Port adapter), but that didn't help.

I think the first time the "snow" thing started happening was after I woke my Mac up from sleep while the display was connected. The weird thing is I've had this display for over 5 months now and never had any problems like this even when the display was connected over a long period of time and my Mac would go to sleep and be woken up while connected.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It may just be that the Mid 2010 MBPs are experiencing some problems with external displays...

6. cmk2k thread starter macrumors newbie

That sucks ...

What's weird to me though is that it was working fine for over a week and all of a sudden I start getting problems ...

7. cmk2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, and I don't know if this makes a difference, the intensity of the "flakes" in- and decreases. I can't seem to figure out when it does and if it's related to something else.