Green Spot Comparisons

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wvphysics, Jul 8, 2010.

1. wvphysics macrumors regular

I am looking to see if the "green spot" that appears in iphone 4 photos under fluorescent lighting is in every iphone 4, like some are claiming, or not. Some say its a white balance issue, which I would expect to be a uniform color change, like the yellow tint issue, but this circle always in the middle of the picture. I was wondering if anyone has taken two or more iPhone 4's and taken a picture under the same fluorescent lights and seen a phone that has it and a phone that does not. It can be quite annoying when it looks like the color is slightly different around the edges of the picture. It can be seen in normal pictures, but it is better demonstrated on a white or light wall under fluorescent, both linear and compact. The compact fluorescents have a habit of making some phones have a severe yellow tint as well as the green spot. If you have compared and seen iphone 4's that have it, and those that do not, please share, pictures for comparison would be good as well.

2. Andru1313 macrumors regular

I got my IP4 replaced due to blue spot. Everything looked ok after I exchanged it. Guess not. Pic taken today with New phone Both these pics were taken under florescents.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the old camera...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

I had never really noticed it until I took a picture of a white piece of paper - definitely a blue spot.

Weird.

4. mallom macrumors regular

Same here...
    What should I do?
    Wait for an update or just exchange it? I ordered mine on the 15th so I still have 7 days left.

Thanks

5. Andru1313 macrumors regular

I really think this has to do with the lighting. If I am by a window with natural light I don't get the blob.. But under just florescent its there..

6. Cottonsworth macrumors regular

Does the Apple Store use florescent lighting? If so, I can do a test with the iPhones they have there.

7. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

If you browse the posts you will see that people are able to replicate the problem with their iPhone 3Gs, as well. Apparently the way many camera phones interpret flourescent lights screws things up. Apparently the way that the software white balances is affected.

I wouldn't take it back, it sounds like it is a software problem.

8. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

Don't take pictures of white things. Non Issue.

9. Sledutah macrumors regular

The 30 day return is based on ship date, not order date. So you have a few more days.
    They better get this update out soon to see if it takes care of some of these problems before the 30 days is up for alot of people.

10. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I never noticed this either until I just took a picture of a white napkin. Oh well, I guess I can't take pictures of plain white napkins or plain white walls anymore. Shucks!

To everyone else...show me one real picture (of something you wanted to take a picture of) that this green spot has affected and then maybe I'll understand why you want to exchange your phone.

11. wvphysics thread starter macrumors regular

When replicated by 3Gs and other phones, they are not anywhere near as noticeable. If it were a white balance software issue, I would expect it to give the entire photo a tint, not just a section, so I don't have much confidence in a software fix, we still haven't seen the software fix that apple promised to be soon.

"Don't take pictures of white things. Non Issue." Using a white background is for demonstration purposes, the discoloration shows up in a normal picture as well as some sort of off color or appearing as a lighter spot and can be annoying. This of course is in combination with the entire screen being yellow if your phone has the warm white cfl issues, which would seem more like what a white balance issue is.

12. wvphysics thread starter macrumors regular

Like most things, its a matter of opinion. I can see it often in regular pictures and it bugs me. You may not see it, it may not bug you, nor do you need to understand it, but you should at least respect that it may bother other people who like to take nice pictures without having to carry around extra devices all the time.

13. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

The tint is in a section of the image because the fluorescent lighting is pulsing 120 times per second and the shutter is only open for 1/30 or 1/60 of a second. In other words the color temperature is changing during the shot! It's the electronic shutter that gives these blob type results. Any camera under the same conditions will have a problem. Too bad the Geniuses have been given no direction and are just adding to the problem. :(

14. jefftroll macrumors member

I noticed this on my 3gs and my ip4. I did a test show with a coworkers 3gs the other day and same thing under the office lights. Green blob in the center. You can return all the phones you want and it will not go away.

15. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

Thank You -

[​IMG]

16. wvphysics thread starter macrumors regular

So then does that mean that the pixels from the sensor are read in sequences not simulatneously?