Green spot on camera lens.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtnDewFTW, Oct 28, 2010.

1. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I think this was a common issue with the iPhone 4, but I have a random green spot when I take pictures. It only appears if I'm taking a picture of something white. Kind of annoying, just wondering if there's a fix for it.

Thanks!

2. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Could stick the photo in a painting application and colour over it. I don't know to be honest though what it is. Is it like a big spot or quite small? Probably best to get a genius to look at it

3. mtnDewFTW thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's both the HDR and regular versions of a picture of my wall.

Attached Files:

4. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

I think you ought to take this into the Apple Store and show them. Then get a new (refurbished) phone.

5. g35 macrumors 6502a

6. tomboy142 macrumors newbie

7. mtnDewFTW thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes.

Eh, I don't really think I wanna get a whole new phone just because of that. It really doesn't bother me that much since I can't notice it unless I'm taking a picture of some solid white thing. Which is not that often. I was just seeing if there was an easy fix, but if not, then I'm not gonna trip about it.

8. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

i had a read of the thread that was posted above.

It appears to be an issue only when there is CFL. Thus, if you don't take photos with CFL, it won't be there.

It's fixable with software, but thus far no one has done it.

9. mtnDewFTW thread starter macrumors 6502a

This actually makes a lot of sense. Hopefully Apple will fix this sometime soon.

10. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

This is a very common problem. Mine does it too. Super annoying.

11. rocotilos macrumors newbie

I just bought an iPhone4 too, and yes, this issue is present when taking photos inside my house, where almost everywhere is using fluorescent lightings.

Being an iPhone developer, I created an app to solve this problem. If you want a promocode, give me a shout at my email with your macrumours' id.

The app is on introductory sale right now at 99cent anyways.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/camera-spot-fix-remove-blue/id403091218?mt=8

Cheers.

12. JonTa macrumors member

Gosh, its really sad that apple engineers couldn't programed this and we have to really on the 3rd party app to fix it. Kudos to you for making it, but this i4 seams like a total fail, with bumpers to overcome death-grip, bumpers scratching stainless steal band, apps for removing green spots, etc

13. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Without getting into the whole sweeping statements bit, these devices are designed, engineered and manufactured by humans, so there are always flaws. Such is life. Ultimately, you have to pick whatever device best fits your needs and doesn't contain flaws YOU consider deal-breaking.

As for the green blob w/flourecent lighting, yeah, it sucks. Hope there's a fix soon.

14. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Ha, ha... total fail?? Why not learn a little bit about the issue before making a stupid comment? A little knowledge can go a long way. Every camera made will have a problem in low light with only fluorescent lighting. There are no exceptions. It's especially bad with a fully automatic camera without a decent flash.

The problem is the shutter speed and the flickering nature of the lighting. In low light an automatic camera will lower the shutter speed below the speed of the flickering light (usually below 1/30 sec). When the shutter is open the lighting is changing! This gives an uneven image (green blob, bars across image etc.) that depends on shutter type. This can happen with any camera. My professional DSLR will have problems with the same setup. That's where changing the lighting, shutter speed, location can help. A pro will carry his own lighting (powerful flash) to solve the problem.

There is no sure cure to fixing a bad picture like this with post processing. That's why no camera manufacturer includes special processing as a fix. There is no simple camera solution. The camera can't predict that the lighting will change during the shot! Don't blame Jobs or Apple for this one.