Green-tinted output from Macbooks mini DVI output

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GedBlue, May 23, 2009.

1. GedBlue macrumors member

GedBlue

Hello!

I use an external monitor with my macbook, it's a couple of years old 17" Sony TFT. I connect it to the macbook through a DVI cable into the adaptor, into the mini DVI port on the mac.

About 90% of the time I do this, the second display shows the correct graphics but is tinted fluorescent green, however if I play aorund enough with the connection, it goes back to full colours.

Is this something a genius could fix, or do you have any recommendations about what to do?

Thanks

(It's definitely not the monitor, as other laptops work fine with it)

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you tried different monitors and different DVI cables and still see a green tone, If you have then in that case it does unfortunately sound like a port problem with the port. That would leave you with the options to swap the mother board.

Is the macbook still under warranty? If so, the board swap should be covered for free under warranty.

3. GedBlue thread starter macrumors member

GedBlue

Yeah I've tried plenty of other cables - it's likely to be the port as you said, and yeah I'm still under warranty, just miles away from an Apple store for the next 2 weeks, and can't be without my mac as I'm a student, nearly finishing the year.

I had no idea it meant replacing the whole motherboard! Not gonna be a cheap job for the apple store.

Thanks stridemat

4. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

5. GedBlue thread starter macrumors member

GedBlue

Yes, but I don't have a VGA out form my macbook!

6. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Do you have a DVI to VGA adapter lying around? Try that and see if it fixes anything.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yes you do. The MacBook's mini-DVI supports VGA. Apple sells a mini-DVI to VGA dongle, just like your DVI one (only with a VGA port on it, obviously).

8. GedBlue thread starter macrumors member

GedBlue

Well yes it will support VGA, but I don't have the mini DVI to VGA adaptor, and don't really want to spend £15 on one just as a trial!

9. Germwise macrumors regular

does it have something to do with what you are doing with your computer? playing movies for example? I've had green tint issues on projectors and I've been told it has to do with HDCP