Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
Checking out the PM updates and found greenfinder.

$35, but, offers you complete front, back and middle yardage as well as hazard yardage.

I need to go check the course listing, but, this might be worth a click.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007

$35, but, offers you complete front, back and middle yardage as well as hazard yardage.

yeah and looks a heck of a lot better than golfmapz.......but i'm waiting for teeshot to release their 1.5 version with GPS support.

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
It does look like Tee Shot is slick with keeping score. My only concern with GPS on Tee Shot is that its marked GPS. Meaning you have to run around and mark the green, bunkers, etc. for each hole then reap the benefits of said markings the next time you play the whole.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
It does look like Tee Shot is slick with keeping score. My only concern with GPS on Tee Shot is that its marked GPS. Meaning you have to run around and mark the green, bunkers, etc. for each hole then reap the benefits of said markings the next time you play the whole.

yeah i noticed that, however, they allow users to "share" new courses and upload them to make available to others so i'm sure within a short period of time their database of courses will include gps coordinates for the greens. also, if you play golf regularly, you probably play at the same course or courses regularly, so after the first time you play a course (without gps help) and you get to the green, simply take a gps reading and save it so that the second time you play that course, you will have the readings available to help you the second, third, etc. time around.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Looks great, but, there is no information about this product anywhere. Just this one movie. The site it is stored at has no content that I can find.

I'm beta testing it; that video is probably showing too much actually but it gives an idea of what's to come.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Looks good. How long until this hits the App Store?

That I don't know, I think it's being held up with logistics like at what price to put it at and if there should be a "lite" version.

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
that app looks like how an iphone app should look, assuming it's priced competitively i think it might be a real contender to teeshot

Yeah, I would love some more information about this app. If you are beta testing it, maybe you can let them know they have some curious golfers on this forum.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Is it $35 per year?

=== from the developers web site ===

Pricing

The price for a one (1) year subscription to GreenFinder is $35.00 ($CAD) plus tax. If you have a promo code or special offer, your price will be calculated on the check-out page.

A subscription includes an unlimited number of course downloads for a year.

============================

Not sure if it is the price for the BB or just for the applicaiton.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
=== from the developers web site ===

Pricing

The price for a one (1) year subscription to GreenFinder is $35.00 ($CAD) plus tax. If you have a promo code or special offer, your price will be calculated on the check-out page.

A subscription includes an unlimited number of course downloads for a year.

============================

Not sure if it is the price for the BB or just for the applicaiton.

Apple does not allow this pricing model so I'm assuming that if you pay the ridiculously expensive price you get the full version. Of course, nothing is stopping them from shutting you off in a year but I don't think that would go over very well.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Apple does not allow this pricing model so I'm assuming that if you pay the ridiculously expensive price you get the full version. Of course, nothing is stopping them from shutting you off in a year but I don't think that would go over very well.

if true, then apple needs to be informed of the pricing violation

ttimbeck

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
GreenFinder Pricing Clarification

***DISCLAIMER: I work for GreenFinder

Just to clear up the confusion, the pricing on the iPhone is one-time. The information from our website pertains to the BlackBerry version (which includes additional features). We may in the future (if Apple provides subscription pricing) provide a different version of the app under a subscription model, but anyone who purchases this version will only be charged once.

GreenFinder is an established product with thousands of existing users, not a new application written only for the iPhone 3G. Our main competition is not necessarily the other iPhone apps but standalone GPS rangefinders that sell for $300-$500.

The value of GreenFinder is in the detail it provides. It provides distance to the the front, center, and back of the green along with hazards on more than 3,000 courses, and we are adding courses at a rate of 150-200 a week.

It does not currently track score. That may be something we add in the future, but our current target market is people looking for a golf rangefinder.

topcash

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
does this app show a picture of the course and the location of the ball on the course?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
***DISCLAIMER: I work for GreenFinder

Just to clear up the confusion, the pricing on the iPhone is one-time. The information from our website pertains to the BlackBerry version (which includes additional features). We may in the future (if Apple provides subscription pricing) provide a different version of the app under a subscription model, but anyone who purchases this version will only be charged once.

GreenFinder is an established product with thousands of existing users, not a new application written only for the iPhone 3G. Our main competition is not necessarily the other iPhone apps but standalone GPS rangefinders that sell for $300-$500.

The value of GreenFinder is in the detail it provides. It provides distance to the the front, center, and back of the green along with hazards on more than 3,000 courses, and we are adding courses at a rate of 150-200 a week.

It does not currently track score. That may be something we add in the future, but our current target market is people looking for a golf rangefinder.

Thanks for the clarification. You said that you are adding courses at a rate of 150-200 a week. I have used Sky Caddie for a few years and they actually go out to most courses and mark them. Do you do something like that or do use aerial type maps (from a web site) to mark them like some others do?

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Thanks for the clarification. You said that you are adding courses at a rate of 150-200 a week. I have used Sky Caddie for a few years and they actually go out to most courses and mark them. Do you do something like that or do use aerial type maps (from a web site) to mark them like some others do?

I think almost all do the arial view now, it's quicker and pretty accurate. You could probably map 10-20 times more courses using the arial view vs actually going to every course.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Full Review of Greenfinder vs vCaddy vs SkyCaddy

I just posed a full review in the iTunes store. I repost here for anyone that wants to read it:

I have been waiting for this weekend to test Greenfinder and vCaddy against a SkyCaddy. I am a 10 handicap golfer and require a very accurate GPS rangefinder if I am going to rely on it. After playing yesterday at Lido Golf Club in NY, I can say that this application is not only impressive and accurate, but at $35 it’s a steal compared to a SkyCaddy. Detailed comparisons between GF and VC and conclusions below:

Start-up Time: When you load up Greenfinder for the first time, it is very easy to find your course. You can choose the auto-locate feature or manually type in the course name. A list of matched will be displayed and you download your course so it’s stored on your phone. Finding course on the vCaddy is also straight forward, although you can not type in the name and instead must first search by state, then scroll through the list of courses to find the one you want. This is a few more steps and frankly less functional. Note that vCaddy currently has more courses mapped than Greenfinder although both companies say they are mapping hundreds a week (but both have marked much less than SkyCaddy). Advantage: Greenfinder.

GPS Satellite Lock: With Greenfinder, after finding the course, the GPS locked onto the first hole in about 20 seconds. I tested this a few times by manually locking the phone. In some cases, the GPS locked on in a few seconds in other cases in took about 10 seconds. For most of the round, I left the iPhone on with no auto-lock. For each measurement, the GPS takes between 1-5 seconds to settle to its correct reading. No measurement changed by more than 5 yards from the initial time I got to my ball or to the tee. I consider this good although a SkyCaddy usually locks on within 2 seconds. With vCaddy, the first GPS lock took a little longer at just over 30 seconds. Subsequent tests took between 15-30 seconds after an auto-lock. After I left my iPhone on, subsequent GPS measurements take about 5-10 seconds to settle. I did find that I could have up to an 8-10 yard swing from the first measurement. Advantage: Greenfinder

Accuracy: To me, this is where the Greenfinder excelled. I tested the GF against 12 course markings. It was + or – 1 yard 7/12 times and within 2-3 yds on 4/12. Only one marking was off by more than 5 yards and when I compared it to the SkyCaddy, it too gave me a reading that was +5 yards. I also made 20 comparisons to the SkyCaddy. The GF and SC had the same reading for center of the green 8/20 times, the GF was within 1-3 yards on the SkyCaddy 9/20 times, and the other 3/20 times the GF had a +5 yard difference then the SkyCaddy (these three were always on the tees for some reason and but were never off by more than 8 yards). Overall, this was truly impressive for me and I felt like I could trust the GF by the end of the round. The vCaddy also performed accurately at times but my biggest problem with it was that it was repeatedly off by more than +5 yards and even off by 8-12 yards on occasion. For some, this may be acceptable performance and a nice app to have on the iPhone but for low handicap golfers, this will not suffice as the only measurement tool. Advantage: Greenfinder

Feature Set: Greenfinder is most like a SkyCaddy in that it gives you Front, Center, Back measurements, measurements to hazards, and an ability to mark shots to measure drives. I found that there was some significant difference between the front and back measurements between the GF and the SkyCaddy. While the center measurements were highly accurate, the front and back could range between 0-10 yards. This is likely because SkyCaddy employs over 150 course walkers and mappers that physically go to a course and measure distances. However, I found the GF usually within an acceptable range for these measurements and very helpful in more than one occasion in determining which shot to hit. Measurements to hazards were also fairly accurate and probably differed from the SkyCaddy by 0-7 yards. vCaddy only measures to center of the green and I have already reviewed this above. Again, for the occasional golfer, paying $10 for this application may be helpful (and it certainly is a great value) but for better golfers, I would choose the GF over the vCaddy (for now anyway).

Battery Life: I will tell you right now, if you want to use this like a SkyCaddy and leave it on, you will need a spare battery pack. I did not test the difference in battery life between both applications but I both will slowly drain the battery down likely before the end of your round. I fully charged my iPhone before I left my apartment. I spend an hour on the train, using the iPhone minimally before I arrived at the golf course. I had turned off BT, wi-fi, 3G and turned the brightness down to 25% (approx). During my 6 hour round (yes it was that long), having only auto-locked the phone manually a few times for testing, the iPhone displayed its 20% battery life warning 3 hours and 52 minutes into my round (I checked one email and sent two text messages). Assuming that this warning is accurate, I would have been able to extract another 35-45 minutes from the phone. Luckily, I went to radioshack and bought a Lenmar battery pack for the iPhone. For $30, this thing is awesome. It can charge your phone twice before it runs out. I added that to the iPhone and easily finished out my round. But I do think if you are considering this app and want to use it just like a SkyCaddy, you have to consider the cost of a spare battery pack.

Overall compared to the vCaddy, the Greenfinder is a much more accurate and more functional GPS application for the iPhone. I could not live with any application that was not highly accurate and GF looks like a very competitive product to a MUCH MORE expensive SkyCaddy. In all fairness, I need to test this on other courses but if my experience yesterday was any indication, I could never see justifying buying a SkyCaddy when this application performed so well.

Pros:
1) Very good accuracy rivaling a SkyCaddy and matching the course markings a majority of the time.
2) Great feature functionality including front, center, back measurements, hazard measurements, and shot measurements
3) Easy to use, nice interface, and it even shows a little satellite icon to show you when it’s locked onto a signal
4) Unlimited downloadable courses (no subscription fees) over the air

Cons:
1) Battery life drain is a problem – although any application of this nature will have this problem
2) No scorecard. Personally, I would not keep my score in my iPhone and I do not look at this feature as essential for a GPS rangefinder. However, to stay competitive with other apps as they come out, the application should probably include this (although it will drain your battery faster)
3) Needs more courses. Many of the ones I play are in there but many are not. Luckily, the application even lets you mark your own course using the GPS tracking on the iPhone.
4) While the accuracy was excellent, the time to lock on the correct yardage could still be improved. When the new 2.1 software is released for the iPhone which supposedly will include improvements in GPS accuracy, I hope the authors of this application look to improve this functionality even more.

ajnvt

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Excellent review. I played a round 2 days ago and tested out vCaddy, and found it to be mostly useless. I still have high hopes for a full-featured GPS rangefinder, but they will have to improve a bit before becoming a vital part of a golf round.

The one thing that impressed me when I was playing the other day was how accurate Google Maps was. After I hit drives, I watched the little blue dot follow my cart very accurately down the cart path, perfectly coinciding with when I would pass bunkers and trees. I'm not sure if it would be possible, but it seems to me that the best golf app would take advantage of this. I'd love to see an actual view of the hole, with dots where my drive and subsequent shots landed and their distances. Until then, the map is great for looking at a hole layout on a blind shot, especially on a course you've never played.

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
Thank you!! Wonderful review. I might have to give into the large Kesington charger and purchase this software. I was very curious about the accuracy and your information was quite informative.

Thank you again!!

naxos41

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
I typed in "vcaddy vs greenfinder" on Google, and, viola, I have come to the right place. Miracle.

Thank you very much for the excellent review.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
nice review, however it's becoming clear that the battery life when running gps in non lock mode is a showstopper for me, and to allow the phone to lock and then having to stop to re-establish a gps signal might be a showstopper as well.

hopefully apple can boost the gps signal acquisition time or else i might have to go for this little nifty device:

http://www.uprogps.com/

i especially love the aerial fly over views of the given golf course. i was at the golf store earlier today and got to see the unit live and she's a real beauty. it's small, and the screen is nice and the course fly over is simply gorgeous. only downside is it's $400 price tag however it sure beats skycaddy's subscription model since with the upro you pay on a per course basis so if you play only a couple of courses regularly, you really won't be paying any useless recurring annual fees

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
nice review, however it's becoming clear that the battery life when running gps in non lock mode is a showstopper for me, and to allow the phone to lock and then having to stop to re-establish a gps signal might be a showstopper as well.

hopefully apple can boost the gps signal acquisition time or else i might have to go for this little nifty device:

http://www.uprogps.com/

i especially love the aerial fly over views of the given golf course. i was at the golf store earlier today and got to see the unit live and she's a real beauty. it's small, and the screen is nice and the course fly over is simply gorgeous. only downside is it's $400 price tag however it sure beats skycaddy's subscription model since with the upro you pay on a per course basis so if you play only a couple of courses regularly, you really won't be paying any useless recurring annual fees

uPro looks very nice. Just shows what can be done. Maybe they can create an iPhone version. I understand the battery life problem. If the GPS is as accurate as the review states I can see me using an iPhone (with extra battery charger). I currently use Sky Caddie (SG5) which is pretty nice but I do like the other features (score card, shot tracking, stats) available on the iPhone. I did test TeeShot (GPS is coming next release) and I like the stats collection, however, I had to have my phone replaced and lost my rounds (they say they will have rounds uploading in the future). Uploading your rounds and having access to the stats with your browser would be really helpfull.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.