GreenPois0n permanent Jailbreak question.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Goldinboy17, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

So I was rather interested in the GreenPois0n Jailbreak since it will allow the iPhone to remain jailbroken even if you update it on iTunes. The thing is, is it completely permanent? Can it be overridden and ridden of? I ask because I'm concerned about the Voided warranty that's applied to the phone if it's jailbroken. I know that it can be restored which would remove most evidence of a jailbreak, but would it be possible to do that with GreenPois0n installed? I know it hasn't even come out yet, but was hoping someone would know the answer to my question. Thanks a ton.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im not familiar with greenpoison but I didnt think any jailbreaks were permanent.
    I dont think the group behind greenpoison has ever put out a functioning jailbreak.

3. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

You're right that only the ChronicDevTeam would know for sure until it comes out. But generally, a restore brings the iPhone back to factory condition - completely. There would be no trace of a jailbreak what-so-ever. One of the exploits available will allow the iPhone to be jailbroken no matter what Apple does. It is an exploit, not a change to your iPhone. The change is to the firmware which can be changed- to be jailbroken or back to un-jailbroken state.

4. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Thanks, that's great news. I wa a little hesitant about having a permanently unlocked phone.

5. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I think what you're thinking of is the "rumor" that greenpois0n was going to be a bootrom exploit, which isn't "permanent", but is more permanent in the sense that the bootrom can be downgraded and re-JB at any time. (I may be wrong about this, I'm far from a JB expert)

6. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

The bootrom is boot Read Only Memory. It is not upgradeable or downgradeable.

A bootrom exploit allowing a Jailbreak means that the exploit cannot be patched. In other words, Apple could do nothing to block it via a software update. The bootrom in the device would need to be upgraded to eliminate the exploit.

S-

7. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

8. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

that's what i meant, thanks. I was thinking about the baseband being downgradeable.

9. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

10. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

So, before anyone says I should just "shut up & wait" or reminds me that 'all good things come to those who wait', or, "if Im in such a hurray, why don't I make my own JB", let me say, I know & I hear ya...

However, as just a matter of discussion, I don't remember it taking so long for a jailbreak to be created or for what I perceive to be a more difficult jailbreak to create.

Granted, I only got my 1st iPhone 2 years ago, so Im no JB historian by any means & when I got my iPhone there was a JB available & it seems to me there were different jailbreaks available for each new FW shortly after they were released.

I don't closely follow the JB scene but Ive 'heard rumors' there have been problems among the Jailbreakers themselves with the prominent developers leaving the 'scene'.

Am I wrong in my admittedly uninformed perceptions? Is there a problem within the JBing scene making it more difficult than it has been in the past?

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

This is nothing new, problems and drama in the community have always happen, on every released there is some type of drama (as it happen on every other community).

It actually haven't been too long, these jailbreaks take time and this is not different.

No problem whatsoever making harder this time, actually this time there are a lot more tools and infrastructure already on place for developing this jailbreaks.

to the OP, I think you are misunderstanding the buzz about greenpois0n, when you read that it will jailbreake iDevice for life. All it mean is that the exploit found is in a location that cannot be update or fix by apple by means of software update (the bootrom on this case). So as long as you keep your device, that "bug" will be present and they can exploit, however Jailbreake needs more than that, that is the door to enter but now they need something to stay inside (without breaking anything) so all they are doing now is looking for a closet that they can stay in. and this "closet" will change with each update so they need to find a new place to hide with every update (but the door will always be open for those devices, Apple will release new hardware and close that door in which case they need to start working again to not only break the door but also to stay in).

Each jailbreak needs those 2 phases, the entry way (bootrom exploit in case of Greenpois0n) and a way to stay inside, hide the code somewhere that can be invoke everytime after boot.

Hope this simplify explanation help understand better the process.

12. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Oh, shut up and make your own jailbreak.

Just joking.

The people who develop the jailbreaks do so because they enjoy it. The receive no compensation for their efforts. The non-developer jailbreaking community is both appreciative and demanding. Some are down right rude and demanding. When someone does something for enjoyment and to make a gift of their efforts to others, then gets demands and constant badgering on when they're going to release it, well, I imaging it gets pretty old. I wouldn't want to share my efforts with a group of people who don't understand or appreciate my work or talents. So a couple of the team membert simply had enough. Or else just got tired of doing it. Or had better things to do. Who knows? The chronic dev-team is working on a stable jailbreak. The team still seems to enjoy the game and we'll all benefit. I've looked at code and it's Greek to me. I understand a little basic and Visual Basic, but I'm a far cry from being a coder. Apple has a very bright staff and their coders are constantly looking to insure that their devices cannot be hacked. So one team finds the exploits and the other team then patches them. Apple has the upper hand since they will continuously patch as exploits are found. At some point in time, there will be no more hacks. During the days of satellite TV hacking, it was the same cat and mouse game. We'd write a script, they'd find a way to torpoedo it. We'd find another and they'd kill it. They changed the hardware a couple of times. F cards, H cards, HU cards and finally a hack proof card. Game over. But we had fun for quite a while. The bootrom exploit will allow jailbreaking for all current devices. But Apple will change their hardware so that future devices cannot be jailbroken by this method.

The jailbreakme.com exploit was known for some time and and when 4.0.1 came out, it was released. But every successive firmware version will theoretically be much harder to hack.

The twitter comments indicate to me that the teams are on good terms with one another. They have lives and jobs other than jailbreaking, but are spending a considerable amount of time and effort to produce a stable and easy to use jailbreak.

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

There is NOT such a thing as "Hack Proof" nothing (Even NSA networks with close circuits have been hacked), all they did was rise the bar to such a high that only the technical can do it (and not anyone with an internet connection) if you know where to look you can still get those "hack receivers".

Besides that, well said ;)