Greenpois0n RC 6.1 from 4.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DPK400, Mar 8, 2011.

1. DPK400 macrumors member

I've got an iPhone 4 with the original jailbreakme.com 4.0.1 JB on it. Firstly, can I run greenpois0n directly on the phone without doing a restore or backup? Second, will this blow away all my settings and apps or will it just upgrade the backend? Thanks so much in advance.

2. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I know this isn't directly what you're asking but I can say that my process went like this:

1. Starting point was iPhone 4 on 4.0.1 with jailbreakme.com
    2. When 4.2.1 came out I simply connected to iTunes and let it upgrade the firmware, killing my JB. (ran like this for a bit because I had apps that needed newer firmware and I simply didn't have my jb for a bit)
    3. Just recently used greenpois0n 6.1 to JB again.

At no time did I lose any app settings, etc. In fact once I ran greenpois0n and installed Cydia & logged in, my MyWi app settings were all still there (hot spot name, WEP password, etc.)

3. DPK400, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

DPK400 thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. You ran an update through iTunes and it kept your JB settings? I assume just the apps disappeared and then did they reappear with the new RC 6.1 JB? I just keep ignoring the warning in iTunes to upgrade for fear that I will lose my JB and associated apps/config.

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

The apps didn't just reappear after re-jailbreaking. I did have to reinstall, which wasn't a huge deal for me because I don't use all that many jb apps. The interesting thing is that once I reinstalled, the configs for those apps were still intact. I don't know if that means the apps were still there or just config files for those apps were still there. I've never gotten into jb'ing at the command line level so I've never looked through directories on the phone to see what files were or weren't there. I also can't say that this would be the same for all jb apps.

My guess is that the apps themselves stay on the device but the "real" OS won't display them because they aren't certified apps. Not really sure there. I'm a 20+ year IT guy but not a JB pro. Just speculating here.

Again, I know it's not exactly what you were looking for but I hope it's helpful tidbits.

5. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Just read your response again and wanted to make sure I was clear. When I upgraded to 4.2.1 I DID lose my jb. I ran with the phone on "stock" 4.2.1 for a bit. Only recently did I really miss MyWi, SBSettings, and a few others so I used greenpois0n to re-JB.

6. DPK400 thread starter macrumors member

It sounds like you and I are in similar stages. (I'm an IT guy by trade as well, but not a JB expert. This was my first iPhone in June) I don't have a ton of JB apps either, maybe 5 or so. It looks like at the minimum I need to update my firmware for greenpois0n to work. According to the blog "greenpois0n only works on firmware 4.1, so (only if you have an iPhone 4!) if you are on a lower firmware make sure you use TinyUmbrella to preserve your baseband." However this post was done in October and most likely a couple versions ago. I really don't have any need for an unlock (though I hear it makes the phone more valuable when selling it later) so I am not sure if I need to upgrade while saving my baseband or not. I am just out of my depth with it comes to jailbreaking my iPhone and when you are searching for information online, it seems everyone has a different opinion. Plus I'm coming from a pretty old iOS version so I was curious what the process would be to use the most recent greenpois0n.

7. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Yeah, right now you can't get the combination of untethered jb of 4.2.1 and an unlock version. The baseband stuff really only comes into play with the whole unlocking situation, as I'm sure you've read. I had no concern about this as I'm on AT&T anyway. I know about added resale value but to be honest I haven't had issues getting rid of my old phones (I've had every generation of iPhone) for what I paid for them. In other words, I consider it a win to go break even as I upgrade each year and I don't have anyone coming back at me claiming my jb/unlock was busted. No muss, no fuss.

8. DPK400 thread starter macrumors member

Sound thinking. So I guess the only variable is whether I NEED to update my firmware (and blow away my JB) before using greenpois0n or not. I'd hate to lose everything and have to reinstall. Though if my settings are still there when I run the JB I would be ok with just reinstalling. Honestly, I use lockinfo, mywi, and some other smaller apps almost exclusively. Nothing more really. The lockinfo and mywi are probably the most important apps to me.

9. DPK400 thread starter macrumors member

Did you have to backup your JB apps in any way? Or did you just do the restore through iTunes and then greenpois0n?

10. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

If you're on 4.0.1 now and simply run greenpois0n, you'll still be on 4.0.1 unless I'm missing something. It's just the jailbreak and doesn't include the new firmware, it just jailbreaks it. Also, iTunes won't synch or otherwise save your jb'd apps because it won't recognize them. Any apps you paid for will be connected to your Cydia account, assuming you went through the process of authenticating, etc. I used the shared Google account login method. I did not backup my jb apps in anyway. I just knew which ones I had and reinstalled afterward. The settings were still there but I just considered that a bonus.

Again, my process from where you are right now (jailbreakme.com on 4.0.1) was to connect to iTunes, let it update my firmware to stock 4.2.1, then used greenpois0n to re-jb and reinstall my apps through Cydia.

11. DPK400 thread starter macrumors member

I believe I will do just that. I will post my results.

12. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Just my 2 cents.

Currently, your iphone has baseband 01.59 which is very rare and it is very valuable because it can be unlocked with ultrasn0w.

Once you update the firmware through itunes with official firmware, the basebase will update as well to 03.10 and it can't be unlocked now.

If you are with AT&T, this doesn't matter because there is no different between them. If I was you, I probably back up everything in the current phone, sell it with ton of money & get a new/update one, sync it with Itunes and get back everything you need. In the process, I can get some extra cash in my pocket.

13. DPK400 thread starter macrumors member

unfortunately, I am not eligible for an upgrade so the retail cost of the phone would cost me more than I could sell mine for.

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You can do a trade with someone on craiglist with additional cash to you. There are ton of demands on this 01.59 baseband phone.

15. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yeah what Crystal said. You really shouldn't update to 4.2.1 because you're one of the lucky few who never upgraded. Essentially your phone is worth a good chunk because there's not a whole lot like it.

Keep it on 4.0.1, keep your jailbreak, unlock, sell it, pocket the cash. Buy a new AT&T or a factory unlock.

EDIT: Just realized that Americans can't buy factory unlocked directly from Apple. I'm from Canada and have that option. However, you should be able to find one on eBay or something.