greenpois0n then a different jailbreak software?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ZestyOne, Apr 4, 2011.

1. ZestyOne macrumors member

ZestyOne

I jailbroke my iphone 4 with greenpois0n at 4.2.1. I don't need any carrier unlock, just a jailbreak (I'm using AT&T).

Really the only thing I use is MyWi, grooveshark, and My3G.

Everything worked perfectly. I'm wondering now, if I want to upgrade to 4.3.1 how does one go about that? because I used greenpois0n does that mean I can't use a different software?

Also, will it erase all my settings, texts, and apps when I upgrade, or is it like a regular apple update where all of that is preserved.

My blob has already been backed up on cydia, if that matters

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Just restore and upgrade to 4.3.1. Then jailbreak with Redsn0w. I don't know about losing data though. I would really recommend not even bothering to upgrade. Theres not much new in 4.3.1.

3. ZestyOne thread starter macrumors member

ZestyOne

I'm actually thinking of just doing this, I guess :/ seems kind of risky for no real gain (although faster browser sounded really nice...)

as a sidenote, would I need to use Pkgbackup? Or can I just redownload my cydia apps that i've paid for (mywi, mainly)

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Its really not risky at all, just more of a pain then anything. I tried 4.3 and trust me, safari is not all that faster.

If you do decide to do it, Pkgbackup is ment to do the job, however I have never been able to get it to work. On the cydia front page, you can go to my account, log in, and download your paid packages.

5. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I didn't even do any of the restore options or anything like that. My process was the following:

Starting point = iPhone 4 on greenpois0n 4.2.1 jb
    Connected phone to iTunes PC, let it update to 4.3.1
    Launched Redsn0w (on Win 7, so set properties to run as admin and compat as WinXP sp3)
    Pointed to the native IPSW in the iTunes directory
    Let 'er rip
    From Cydia, authenticated using gmail account (I set it up that way)
    Installed MyWi

Haven't installed anything else because that's really about all I use.

Everything working flawlessly.

6. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Kadman, you retained texts, game saves etc... doing it that way?

7. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Yes. Not a single loss of texts, recent calls, game saves, Navigon data, etc. Just like running a regular update. Of course, jailbroken apps won't show up by default, you have to install those again. I only use MyWi and it retained the settings once I reinstalled (AP name, etc.)

8. kevinbal macrumors regular

kevinbal

Exactly what I did, except on a Mac. Worked just fine as well.

9. ZestyOne thread starter macrumors member

ZestyOne

will i need to change my root password again?

10. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Yes, of course

11. M-5, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

My iPhone 4 was running 4.2.1 just like yours with Greenpois0n, and I was updating to 4.3.1 so I could jailbreak again, but it got stuck while restoring on iTunes, and it's in recovery mode now and I don't know what to do.

I checked Software updates on my computer and iTunes and everything is up-to-date. I restarted my Mac too, but the iPhone is still stuck in recover mode. While it's restoring with iTunes, it will stop when it's around 3/4ths of the way and say that some error occurred. All I can see on my iPhone is the USB image to connect to iTunes.

EDIT: To elaborate further....

Right now my iPhone screen shows the USB connect to iTunes display. It's connected to my Mac, and iTunes presented me with this:
    [​IMG]

I click "OK" and then iTunes shows this:
    [​IMG]

When I click the restore button, my iPhone starts to restore, and it shows the Apple symbol on the iPhone with the progress bar underneath it, but it stops about 3/4ths of the way through and then iTunes gives me this:
    [​IMG]

And the same thing keeps happening. I'm stuck...hmm