Greetings fellow MBP users. A few questions if you don't mind.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Malkishua, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Malkishua macrumors newbie

Hi. My name is Tom, I'm new here.
    I just got my MBP which is simply amazing. its a
    i7 2.66GHz
    4gb RAM
    128 SSD

After snooping around I came across a few questions that i'd really love if you could answer for me since id like to preserve my MBP as much as I can for as long as I can.

- Whats better, keeping my MBP on or should it put itself to sleep every 20 min or so if not used, considering I might turn it on again after 2-5 minutes? So technically what I'm asking here is if its better to put it to sleep every time I don't use it or is it wearing the MBP out to do that so often?
    - Same for screen. Should it auto turn off my screen every 5 min or could it damage it in the long run? (on and off and on and off etc etc.)
    - Is dimming really necessary or is it just for indication? can auto dimming damage the screen in the long run? or is it the other way around? dimming often will preserve the screen?

Apps
    - If I delete an app that came with the MBP, will I be able to reinstall it using the CD's I got without formatting?
    - iSync: What is it for actually? will I ever use this?
    - Adress book: Useful or pretty much useless since Gmail is so easy to use and also always online. Does any of you really use this app over google and syncs it with Gmail or do you think its best to just skip it all together?
    - iChat: Since its just for Mac and Jabber users, would I ever need it? its 50mb for just 2 protocols. seems more sensible to install a multi protocol system like Digsby for example. or if you guys know any better multi protocol application for me, please let me know :) best if it doesn't take much space.
    - iDVD: Will I ever use this?..
    - Image Capture: Why do i need that if it needs an external device?
    - iPhoto: Is it worth the 260mb? I don't have much photos and definitely don't need everything mega super organized. everything is in its correct folder anyway.
    - Firefox vs Safari: Any thread you guys can refer me to on this eternal debate?

I know it seems petty but it sums up to 700mb which are pretty much a lot considering my low disk space (128g SSD)
    Are there any pretty much useless stuff I can safely remove from my OS to open up as much disk space as possible?

I knows its a lot, but I'd really appreciate a detailed reply =]

Thanks,
    Tom.

2. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Welcome to the forums! Here are my takes on your concerns.

1. If you're not using it, shut the lid; if you are, open the lid. Apple designed this as a laptop so that it will turn on and off when you need it to. Don't worry about the wear and tear associated with this.
    2. On/off/on/off won't damage it in the long run but running it for extended periods of time will. Just like anything, the more you use it, the more run down it will be.
    3. Dimming is to help increase your battery life. No worries about it damaging it over time.

Apps:
    1. In theory you should - there should be an "Installed Apps" CD included with your macbook pro.
    2. No idea, never used it - I'm assuming it's for syncing contacts and calendar.
    3. Don't use it personally but it's nice to have it synced with Google in case you're ever stranded anywhere without internet service.
    4. Adium is best for integrating all of your instant messaging protocols. I wouldn't worry about uninstalling iChat, sometimes it could come in handy and it's not taking up much space at all.
    5. If you want to make a home movie or a slide show DVD, it's pretty useful - generally, most of the apps that come with the macbook pro don't need to be deleted.
    6. It's another way to import photos without using iPhoto.
    7. It won't hurt having it on there if you ever decide to convert (260MB is NOT that much!). Who knows, you may decide to start taking a lot more photos and it'll come in handy.
    8. http://www.google.com/search?q=fire...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
    It's all personal preference - both have their pro's and con's. Chrome is another one to consider but in the end it all comes down to personal preference.

700 megs is less than 1 gig... If it comes down to it and you really need that last 700 megs, then delete the applications then but the SSD drives don't have access issues with full drives like traditional hard drives where it was seeking with a read head. I've filled up several SSD's with no problem at all.

Hope this helps and welcome!

3. Malkishua thread starter macrumors newbie

!

Thanks a bunch mate! your tips were very useful.

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

ok chrome, vs safari vs firefox.

this is literally a hard one. they are all good in essence, however safari pulls out last in the race.

so its between chrome and firefox
    since you are on a MAC, go for Chrome 8.
    chrome 8 includes:
    Built in PDF viewer that works inside Chrome's sandbox for increased security, more sync services, and improved plug-in handling. [41] This release added "about:flags" to showcase experimental features such as Chrome Instant, side tabs on Windows, tabbed settings, background web applications, remoting, disable outdated plug-ins, XSS Auditor, Cloud Print Proxy, and a "Tab Overview" mode (like exposé) for Mac.
    (and obviously its built in flash!)

http://www.favbrowser.com/html5-int...hrome-8-vs-firefox-4-vs-opera-11-vs-safari-5/
    this site is a comparison and well firefox is almost there with Chrome 7, but chrome 8 shoots off..
    one thing to not is the test includes firefox 4 B6. i am running B7 and things have changed in terms of speed.

but chrome is a light browser, etc.

you can always download both and use firefox for its add-ons and chrome for well speed.. but hey! its up to you.

i might do that?!/

5. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Only way to figure out which browser to use is to try them all.

Try the following:

Chrome
    Safari
    Firefox
    Opera
    Flock
    WebKit (Safari which is updated every weekday with the latest build).

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Try this application called Xslimmer. Google for it, I believe it is around $14. It saved me 1.21 out of 3.5 GB of installed applications and also sped up my performance. Note: exclude iWork from the list of apps... It screws up the programs.