Greetings, (Transferring Data to New Hard Drive)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sedboogie, May 7, 2008.

1. sedboogie macrumors newbie

I am new to the forum. I've have a MAC iBook (my first MAC product) which taught me mostly what I know about operating a MAC. I now have incorporated a Sawtooth G4, 1.2 GHZ, with a gig of ram which I use in my studio running Pro Tools. I want to upgrade my hard drives. I found a deal on SATA drives with the adapter/connector. My question is it possible and if so how do I transfer my current OS, programs, and files over to the new HD?

P.S. As I said before I am new so be gentle if you think this is a stupid question LOL! :D

Thanks in advance!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Welcome, and it's Mac.

A FireWire or Ethernet cable will allow you to transfer files back and forth. If the iBook and Sawtooth have AirPort cards, and you happen to have a router, you can wirelessly transfer files. USB flash drives are also handy.

Don't hesitate to ask anything here. Most of the questions asked here are thought by their askers to be stupid, but they're really helpful tidbits that are resolved by helpful people.

Ignore the haters and the purists. Create your own Apple.

3. sedboogie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Tallest Skil

For the quick reply! :) though Im sorry... maybe I wasnt clear on what I was asking... (I can do that from time to time) but I know about the transferral between the 2 computers via Firewire. What I am asking here is in one unit (the Sawtooth)... I want to upgrade to a SATA HD... but how do I or can I even transfer the files from the old IDE hard drive to the new SATA... ("The files" meaning the bootable OS, programs, music, etc.)

PS and yes I will be getting the adapter for SATA to IDE

Thanks in advance