Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blah07b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Hello, this seemed like the right place to ask this...

I just bought a Black, 2007 MacBook for $500 from eBay. In my excitement, I had forgotten to ask the seller of the cosmetic condition, who had negelected to mention it, and now that I have it, I notice some dark spots behind the screen.

I say behind because they appear behind the pixels; if you roll rext over it it is clear that they are not dead pixels, and the spots are under them.

The spots look sort of like somebody painted the back of the screen in Photoshop's dissolve mode - little light grey spots around a darker grey center with dusty dots surrounding it.

If you look at it at the right angle, you can also see white spots (The grey spots will also turn white at this angle)

My question is, can it be fixed, and about how much will it cost?

If it costs too much, I'll just sell it back on eBay.

bsblvnv

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Las Vegas
Sounds to me like there was quite a bit of pressure put on the outside of the case. The same thing used to happen to me on my old HP laptops, but I thought the Apple cases were put together better than that. Anyways if that is the case it will not cause dead pixels just color disorientation. Meaning it's just really annoying. When it happened to me I sent my laptop back to HP and they replaced the screen for me. Since your MB is probably not still under warranty, you would have to replace it yourself, or have someone do it. If you trust yourself you can do it for under $100, but a professional will charge between $200-$300.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.