Grey at bottom of screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by usmaak, Jul 29, 2012.

1. usmaak macrumors regular

Hi,

Why is it that every single 11" and 13" Macbook Air that I've looked at is greyish along the very bottom of the screen? I'm just curious as to what causes this phenomena. Thanks.

2. deeddawg, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

deeddawg macrumors 604

It's the "front edge" of the dock. 3D effect, so there's a change in color from the surface to the front edge, looks like a grey strip.

3. usmaak thread starter macrumors regular

I'm talking at the very bottom of the screen. It's only visible when on a light colored screen, and it always shows up right at the bottom, regardless of where the dock is positioned.

4. msullivanxi macrumors newbie

Im literally staring at the bottom of my screen and I cant see it

5. Numberless macrumors newbie

From what I've witnessed, I believe it's visible on a white background at any angles other than directly at the screen, lol. The original MacBook Air had almost the opposite issue, that is, a white bar of light at the top of the screen. That, too, was visible mainly at odd viewing angles. Don't have an accurate explanation for why it's there, but with these being ridiculously thin TN panels, I guess the manufacturers don't sweat the display not looking perfect at every viewing angle.

I have to say though, it's MUCH more tolerable than having backlight bleeding on a black screen, which I've found MacBook Airs to be pretty good about.

6. usmaak thread starter macrumors regular

Yup. That's it. And if I look at it right on, it does pretty much disappear. But then there's some viewing angle issues with the very top of the screen. It's nothing I can't live with, because it seems to be pretty common. I was just wondering why it is that way. Weird stuff, this technology.