Grey Bars at Top of Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stillAlive, Apr 1, 2009.

1. stillAlive macrumors newbie

Hello,

Here is my issue. Last year I bought the 16g first gen Iphone. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a group of small grey bars at the top of top of the phone (ranging in thicknees, probably 1.5 mm at its thickest). It almost looks like somebody digitally chopped off the top of the screen. I tried restarting the phone, and even restoring it to no avail.

Has anyone heard of this issue? Sounds like a pixel problem. I have an appointment tomorrow at the Apple store, and luckily I'm just within the one year warranty. However, I just want to make sure this isn't something I would have caused directly thus nullifying the warranty.

Thanks!

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

3. stillAlive thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, and apologies in advance for the quality of the pic, this was the best my camera could do. However, from the pic you can see the lines start at the bottom left, get thickest in the middle, and fade out towards the top left. Any way this was water damage?

Attached Files:

4. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Looks more like a display issue to me, have you dropped it at all?

5. stillAlive thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Macjames macrumors 6502a

In that case its just a manufacturing defect, the Apple store will hopefully replace your phone.

7. stillAlive thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tonight, hopefully they don't try to bend me over and admit it's somehow my fault. I'll keep the thread posted.

8. stillAlive thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. Easily the best customer service ever. In no more than 3 mins, I walked in, and walked out with a brand new, working Iphone, no questions asked. I assumed they didn't make the 16GB Edge phone anymore, but they apparently still carry replacements for it. What interesting though, is while it still has the depressed jack, I believe the speaker is different. Its definitely louder than my last phone, or perhaps the speaker had just worn down. Either way, I'm a happy man!

9. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear they replaced it for you.

10. grave101 macrumors newbie

Did they even ask for your account info? I'm curious as to if they'll still have replacements for my old iPhone 2G which has the grey pixels, but I'm not even close to still in warranty. I have a feeling since its so old they won't care and will just give me a new one.