Grey Curtain of Death?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theworstkids, Aug 21, 2008.

1. theworstkids macrumors newbie

So this morning I was using my MBP as usual. Then I had to go to class so I put down the monitor and put it in my backpack. I turned out not using it but when I got back 4 hours later I find it shut off. I turn it on to see the Apple logo and the spinning thing below it but I also saw like a third of that same image a little bit to the right.

And then the curtains, or what I believe are the grey curtains of death, fall down from the top of the screen and the kernel panic pops up. Though I can't even read it because it is blocked off by the curtains.

I've restarted it and such but it just happens again and again. How should I even go about getting this fixed?

Thanks in advance guys.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if you kernel panics, it is probably imminent or happened hardware failure.

3. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Have you tried doing the usual stuff- PRAM/SMC reset, repair permissions?

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Not necessarily. My Macbook has had a grand total of 5 kernel panics since I've had it, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it (or at least I assume so, seeing as it's still going strong 12 months after the last one).

5. theworstkids thread starter macrumors newbie

If I do the SMC/PRAM reset, will I have that bring my MBP to factory settings and erase everything I had?

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

A reset does not deal with the hard drive. Your settings however, those may have to be changed again.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

In my three or so years of using OS X, a few weeks ago was the first time i've experienced a kernel panic, while on my 2.5 Ghz Penryn (boy was I mad). I suspect it was a mem leak in the Photoshop CS4 beta I was running. Hasn't happened since.

I'll have to do my rounds with Tech Tool Deluxe, Drive Genius and Disk Warrior before I come up with any conclusions.

8. stomplex macrumors member

Never had a kernel panic that I can think of :confused:

Always had either windows or Linux machines - this is my first Mac - got it a little over a year ago.

If I had read these forums before I bought this thing I probably would not have bought it. I don't regret it because it has performed superbly.

Maybe the Gods are smiling upon me :D

My first inclination would be to examine which applications/updates were installed since this began.

I know, for instance, that "out of the box", mine works great. If, God forbid, it should act up, my first step would be to just pop in the install disk that came with it - wipe it out!

I agree that it may be hard for some to do that. I've had the tendency to build a life around mine and it would be painful to have to rebuild it but the bottom line is, we have to take that into consideration as end users unless you're running some uber-redundant environment like most end users do not.

9. theworstkids thread starter macrumors newbie