Grey exclamation mark inside iTunes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PreetinderBajwa, Aug 27, 2011.

1. PreetinderBajwa macrumors regular

Hi,

I have 180 GB of music and podcasts, I recently moved to a new iMac and since then off and on have a problem with iTunes. Against each item in iTunes i.e. individual podcast, individual music file I get a grey exclamation point. When I click it it says can't locate and then I have to manually go to the folder and click the item in that iTunes folder.....

But its showing this for 7000 items, its a nightmare to do that for 7000 items ! I tried to consolidate the files through one of the options under file menu, but that doubles the size of my library :-(

Can someone please help by telling me a better way of doing it. My iPad and iPhone are synced to this library.

Thanks a lot.

Preetinder

2. andyboutte macrumors member

Can you provide more information about you can transferred your music from your old iMac? external? migration assistant?

3. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Yeah, it seems like something went wrong when you transferred the files over. I'd try to delete everything, then reimport. Don't know if you have iTunes set to automatically manage your music and copy it to the iTunes music folder when you import, but checking those boxes before reimporting will probably be the easiest way to get it to work again.

Like you said, manually doing 7000 files is totally a pain, so even if it takes a while to recopy all the music, I think you'll still win out.

4. PreetinderBajwa thread starter macrumors regular

@ andy

Hi Andy,

It was a drag and drop from my external hard disk, when that disk was connected it knew exactly what to put where and it had no exclamation mark, i basically dragged and dropped everything in exactly the same folder structure as was there.......

----------

Hi Daffodil,

I dragged and dropped all from my external drive, then once it was in the same folder structure, i did some house cleaning....... from 300 GB i got it down to 180...... now copying everything back...... yikes..... I shudder...... i wish they had a simple link folder to content by each folder type, if i found get exclamations in mobile apps, i could just point to mobile apps folder and it could find it....... wishful thinking......:(