Grey import cameras??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ifti, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

Here in the UK I can save over £200 on a 650d if I choose to go with a grey import. The difference being the import will come with no Canon warranty.
    It still comes with a warranty via the online retailer though, so in the event of anything going wrong one would need to send it back to the retailer, who will have it repaired via an authorised repair centre etc.

Although the likelihood of something going wrong with it is low due to the quality these are produced at now, should I save myself over £200 with an import or is a direct Canon warranty important?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There are a couple of things to consider. Who is the online retailer? Are they reputable? What is their history with warranty work? I love the internet because this is information that we can find fairly easily. It is worth the extra time to seek out that information.

Next, you want to consider your statement about the quality of something. You're obviously a member here. Apple charges a price and that price suggests that the device is made with the highest of all quality control standards. This is not always the case and even so, electronics fail. As cameras became less manual and more electronic new problems came up. These problems, unlike with a manual camera, aren't easily fixed by the average user. Not to say all problems with a manual camera can be fixed but if the film jams, you can fix that. If the camera stops recording to a memory card, you probably can't fix that.

Although Canon, Nikon, etc, scream "quality" in many cases, I would not rely solely on their name. I would not rely on an online retailer's warranty unless they were B&H Photo, Calumet or Adorama, etc. There are a few local shops I'd trust as well. I would look into warranties through homeowner's, camera insurance, and square trade. Saving on grey market is ok but know your risks and insure yourself.

3. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

The other common issue with grey imports into the UK, is that often they won't come with a UK-specific power cord, or any manuals in English (or often, any manuals at al!) and sometimes the bundled-accessories (if its a boxed camera kit) are different.

When I bought my 30D (UK model, not an import) I could have saved about £70 by going with a grey import, but the import had a non-UK mains lead, and no English manuals (I cannot remember what language the package was in, but it wasn't English or a European one!)

I'm pretty sure also there was some difference in what was in the box (I bought body-only, not a kit) although It's a few years ago now.

4. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks guys, some good points raised.
    I've been in contact with these guys via email, who say their cameras come with UK power cord and English manuals etc. I read somewhere that they open the box and put these in, while removing the warranty card. They say they use authorised repaire centres for any warranty work, all of which goes through them. Seem to have good reviews on reviewcentre etc.
    http://www.procamerashop.co.uk/product/Canon_EOS_650D_Digital_SLR_18-135mm_IS_STM_Kit_38245

Alternatively I can purchase from here. They sell full UK spec with manufacturer warranty, and an extra 'experience pack', containing some DVDs and a seminar voucher etc.
    http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Canon_EOS_650D_18-135_IS_STM_Kit

If it was a difference of up to £100 I would have just gone with the 'proper' version, even though its more expensive. But there seems to be a substantial price difference, which is what's holding me back a little.

I'm still leaning towards the untouched, unopened, warrantied version TBH, but what would you do?

5. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

If it were me, I'd go with the unopened UK package.

(That's what I did).

The logic of removing warranty cards is merely so that the 'third party' can make money by claiming from Canon for "warranty" work done, and - allegedly - they sometimes submit claims for non-existing work.

At least with a boxed UK product, your camera will be registered with the manufacturer to you, the purchaser, and not someone else.

6. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

True.
    I understand cliftncameras also provide a 2 year warranty, which is good. I think the first year is with canon direct and the second through them, and even then they just sent to Canon UK also.

Saying that I've just been checking this site:
    http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-650d-kit-18-135-stm-1013-p.asp

Although this one comes from outside the UK, it comes with UK spec, language, plug, etc.
    However, it comes with a 3 year warranty. Just received this from them.......

"It would not come with a Canon UK warranty card as they are from outside the UK. If the product developed a fault you would simply contact us, and if it's not an issue we can help with in the office we give you all the contact and delivery information for the Canon repair centre we use in Glasgow. For this, all you need is the invoice from us, which acts as your UK proof of purchase, and a cover letter explaining the problem. You will also have an A6 card in the box detailing 3rd-party guarantor details, who would come in to effect if we were to go out of business."

7. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I would go with the unopened UK package as well. Sometimes just asking a question tells you the answer is "no." £200 is a lot of money, but you get a lot of value for it. You know Canon will fully stand behind its product. You can never be sure an on-line vendor will do so. Also, I am curious if their repair people are "authorized" by Canon or only by the vendor. It is a relatively inexpensive body (the equivalent T4i is about $900 US for just the body), but still.........

8. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeh I guess you are right. I'd rather have the extra piece of mind as well!