grey partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bugmatt, Mar 9, 2009.

1. bugmatt macrumors newbie

I am using an EXTERNAL seagate 250gb drive formatted with the apple partition map on a osx10.4 system with no problems (intel based). I then plugged it into a 10.5 system (ppc system), it displayed some message which I ignored, perhaps to my peril, and began to backup some files and the transfer was moving quite slow. The drive was unplugged before the transfer was completed.

I now try to use the drive on my 10.4 system and even-though the partition is still visible (in disk utility) it is not active (the drive is in black font but the partition is in grey font). Did the 10.5 system possibly make the partition inactive, if so how to do i make it active again?

When I attempt to verify the disk, it reports that there is an "INVALID SIBLING LINK" and tells me that the volume needs repair.

[​IMG]

I try to repair the disc and it fails "INVALID SIBLING LINK" and the "THE UNDERLYING TASK REPORTED FAILURE ON EXIT"

[​IMG]

I would really like not to have to take this to a data recovery service and I am not tech challanged so I dont think I need to do this as the Hdd didnt fail , I hope. Thanking you in advance.

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

You can try the suggestion at
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070204093925888

Since it is an external disk, you can adjust the steps accordingly. Step 5 assumes it is an HFS formatted disk. You can do a 'man fsck_hfs' without quotes in the terminal and see the help on the command first.

DiskWarrior may also be able to fix the error, if you want to buy a copy, depending on how much you value the data. Good luck!

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Try starting from the system DVD, launching Disk Utility from the menu, select the drive, and click "Repair".