Grey Powell. Fired Or Still Working For Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleTecFan, Jul 19, 2010.

1. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

Grey Powell...

Is He Still Working For Apple After The Whole Thing With Losing the

Next (Well Current) iPhone?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I'm sure he is still there down in the dungeon somewhere. While it was an accident I think he should be fired because he was 100% responsible. However in our entitlement society holding him responsible for HIS (lack of) responsibility would create a public outcry.

3. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah but we aren't sure if it was stolen from him or whether he actually left it there knowingly. And we're human..

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If his name wasn't pubished, I'm pretty sure apple would have fired him fairly quickly. Because it's out in the open and given apple's recent poor reputation, they weren't about to be viewed as heartless by canning the guy.

I'm sure he'll pay for his "sins" in the near future, so he may be better off using his "fame" to find a safer job.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It was nether. He left it there unknowingly. While we are all human and make mistakes we still must accept responsibility for them.

6. phrint macrumors 6502

Apple is an at-will employer meaning they can fire anyone for no reason at all. My guess as to why he is still there is because of the cloudiness as to whether or not the prototype was lost or stolen from him. Time will tell.

7. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I was seriously hoping they were going to let him introduce the iPhone 4 at the keynote.

Does anyone actually think it was taken out of his bag? I know Jobs made some comment about that being debated, but is there reason to believe he was pick-pocketed?

It would make total sense;
    Obviously the guy that ended up with it knew it was something special enough that he opted to take it home, rather then leave it with the bartender like any normal person would do.

8. racer1441 macrumors 68000

9. Loki666 macrumors member

10. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

His punishment is not getting a prototype iPhone 5

13. UAL Kingpin macrumors newbie

Good thing this Gary Powell guy wasn't working for Foxconn when he lost the iPhone 4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn

Case of Sun Danyong's death

On July 16, 2009, Foxconn employee Sun Danyong committed suicide in Shenzhen, China by jumping off the 12th floor of his apartment building.[32] Initial reports from China indicate that Sun Danyong was under pressure because of investigations by Foxconn's Environmental, Safety and Loss Prevention Division regarding a missing prototype for a fourth generation iPhone. He had been tasked with shipping 16 iPhone prototype units, but one went missing.

After he filed his report on July 13, the Chinese state-run Southern Metropolis Daily reported that Sun's residence was searched by Foxconn employees and that he was beaten and interrogated by his superiors.[33] Sina Online News and ND Daily newspaper both reported that Foxconn's security division may have illegally searched Sun's personal residence without a warrant and used unlawful confinement and possible physical force during the investigation.[34][35] The controversial incident called into question Apple's secrecy over upcoming product releases, where misplacing prototypes is a serious breach of protocol.

Foxconn released an official statement apologizing to Sun Danyong's family. The manager in question was suspended and an official police investigation began.[36] An Apple spokesman told reporters that the company was "saddened by the tragic loss of this young employee."[33]