Grey Screen after login

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kirky1234, Jul 27, 2012.

1. kirky1234 macrumors member

Hi there,

I got my 16gb/2.3/256 rMBP earlier this week and installed mountain lion on it. I enjoyed it very much so far but then when i wanted to start it today, after loging in to my account it only showed a grey/black screen... I restarted, logged in and everything worked fine. I tried it again, logged in, got the grey screen, restarted, everything worked fine, restarted, got the grey screen, restarted, and so on

What is happening?
    Thanks for your help!

2. kirky1234 thread starter macrumors member

I think I could fix it by myself. In case anybody is interested, here's what I did:

Delete the Power Management preferences
    This issue may also be rooted in how the system is handling power settings for various power sources (battery or wall power), and some people have claimed success in preventing this issue by removing the power management preferences so the system will rebuild them. The preferences are located in the /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ folder and are called "com.apple.PowerManagement.plist."
    Remove this file and restart the system, and that may help the situation, especially if the problem only happens after waking from sleep. The preferences contain GPU switching instructions for various power modes, which may be what is triggering the problem for some systems.

3. kirky1234 thread starter macrumors member

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

A gray/black screen? Are you seeing a kernel panic?

5. MrPlayer66 macrumors member

I had the same problem, I would get a black screen and then nothing at all I knew the system was logged in but I just didn't get an image. I thought it had to do with Google Chrome and I uninstalled it and it stopped doing it so I thought I had fixed the problem, but after a few more log ins the problem came back so I just did a clean install of ML hopefully that will fix the problem.

6. deerfaced macrumors regular

Yep, apparently theres also quite a few others having the same problem.

Me included.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19063308?ac_cid=tw123456#19063308

Some people on there upgraded, some did a clean instal.

Apparently disabling graphics switching stops it, which is obviously a **** solution. Hopefully there will be a fix sooner rather than later.

7. kirky1234 thread starter macrumors member

Has definitely something to do with graphics card switching. If I force my Nvidia card to run, the grey screen won't appear but like you said, this is a bad solution. Please everybody report, so we can get this fixed as soon as possible!

8. dsciel macrumors regular

My rMBP has the same issue. Seems like discrete card will solve all issues, but i can't imagine how bad the battery life is after using discrete card at all times.....Also, what is the point of the added Inter 4000 if it can't handle rMBP?
    Hope it is a driver bug and really looking forward for a fix