Grey screen of death after installing ML

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by istanbul05, Oct 25, 2012.

1. istanbul05 macrumors member

Hi there, I have an aluminium Macbook (Late 08, i think), which had Leopard on it until recently. I have tried to upgrade the OS to Snow Leopard, then Lion, and then Mountain Lion. However, after installing Mountain Lion, the MacBook now crashes on startup with the grey screen of death. I have tried reinstalling the OS, but the same thing is happening. The only way I can boot properly is through a safe boot.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Repair permissions, and repair disk in Disk Utility.

3. istanbul05, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

istanbul05 thread starter macrumors member

Is there any other way I can access Disk Utility, because it isn't letting me in safe mode? Thanks for the help.

Edit: seen that it should be possible by booting from the CD. will give that a go now.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Is there a recovery partition, hold option(Alt) key at start up and see if there is one, if it is there you can start up from that one and there should be Disk Utility available.
    Or.
    Do you have any bootable backup(10.5 or 10.6 is OK), if so start up from that one and try from there.
    Or
    Do you have a Install disk, start up from there.

You could also reset PRAM ctl-alt-P-R (3 X start up sound then release)

5. istanbul05 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, just tried the disk and permissions repair, but no luck. It did seem to fix a few permissions but still crashes. I have the whole machine backed up on Time Machine from when it was on Leopard, so I was thinking, worst comes to the worst, I can just format the HDD and start again?

I don't have a bootable backup, but I think I have the Leopard install disks somewhere.

Unless there are any other options available to me?

thanks

6. justperry, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Erm, I think I have bad news for you.

EDIT: I am wrong, I got conflicting reports, your Aluminium Macbook should be supported, sorry for this

Attached Files:

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If you hold command V keys when start up, what do you get, it starts up in verbose mode and shows you what it does, where does it hang?
    System Log has also all the Info what it does when it starts up.

8. istanbul05 thread starter macrumors member

Ahh, I didn't see this post and had already started the format! Hopefully this works..:eek: