Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muddled79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
This may be a little similar to this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/994377/

I have royally screwed up. I deleted some files that I think must’ve been crucial because when I tried to start up my poor Mini (OSX 10.4.7) it goes to the grey page with the Apple logo and the thinking icon. After about a minute it restarts. And again, and again.

I have tried:
- Restarting it holding down the shift key (safe mode)
- Restarting holding the X key
- Restarting with the S key
- Restarting with the option key
- Reinstalling the start up disc (starting up with the disc in and holding down the C key)
- Reset the PRAM

Any words of wisdom for a complete and utter moron??

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
This may be a little similar to this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/994377/

I have royally screwed up. I deleted some files that I think must’ve been crucial because when I tried to start up my poor Mini (OSX 10.4.7) it goes to the grey page with the Apple logo and the thinking icon. After about a minute it restarts. And again, and again.

I have tried:
- Restarting it holding down the shift key (safe mode)
- Restarting holding the X key
- Restarting with the S key
- Restarting with the option key
- Reinstalling the start up disc (starting up with the disc in and holding down the C key)
- Reset the PRAM
I am assuming you are running OS 10.6.4. You will have to reinstall the system, I believe, 1. do you have the original DVD install disk? Or 2. do you have a bootable USB or Firewire HD with a bootable OS on it? #2 is easier, as you can probably start up from the external HD, download the Combo OS 10.6.4 dmg file from Apple and install that on the defective internal system, which shouldn't hurt your data, just refresh the system and replacing the missing files. #1 works, put the DVD disk in the drive and restart, holding down the option key, and select the DVD drive to boot from it. Install the system and then run the updates.
This method is rather time consuming. Good luck.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I am assuming you are running OS 10.6.4. You will have to reinstall the system, I believe, 1. do you have the original DVD install disk? Or 2. do you have a bootable USB or Firewire HD with a bootable OS on it? #2 is easier, as you can probably start up from the external HD, download the Combo OS 10.6.4 dmg file from Apple and install that on the defective internal system, which shouldn't hurt your data, just refresh the system and replacing the missing files. #1 works, put the DVD disk in the drive and restart, holding down the option key, and select the DVD drive to boot from it. Install the system and then run the updates.
This method is rather time consuming. Good luck.
I don't think so.
A) Snow Leopard runs only on Intel Macs, which have no PRAM, which he resetted.
and B) He stated to run 10.4.7, so this is a G4 Mini, because Intel Macs only run Tiger (10.5), so do later G4s.

OP: Figure out what is actually wrong by booting into verbose mode by holding ⌘V. If you still don't understand what's wrong, reinstall the system to fix it. Try to get your hands on a Leopard-DVD, and max out the RAM to 1GB.

Baby Mac

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Kentucky
For morons and others out there, back up. I lost many GBs of mp3s and some pictures when a hard drive crashed and I had not backed up for awhile. It took months of occasionally re-burning the CDs. Now I try to back up once every week or two. I would not want to reconstruct much more than that.

Perhaps sticking the OS disc in the optical drive will give you the option of repairing your current installation, rather than re-installing it. Just make a backup before you make your next set of changes (lesson learned?).

muddled79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Thanks so much for your replies, guys.

I've tried reinstalling and I've tried everything else I can think of - one thing I HAVEN'T tried is ⌘V, which I will try when I get home tonight (I'm at work right now). Thanks Giuly.

I've been quoted £90 by an expert to fix it. He hasn't seen it but this is what he said:

"OK, from your description it seems like a software-based problem.
We can check and confirm this for free as mentioned earlier. From there we'd probably back up your data, wipe the hard drive and install a fresh system, configure it and then restore all your data."

Does this mean he'll open it up and have a look inside? That's definitely beyond my expertise but I'm really reluctant to pay the £90 because I'm a cheapskate. Do you think it's worth it? He's also offered to put another 60GB in for an extra £50.

Thanks for being kind to a moron.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.