Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lennyshotgun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Wow - this all startrd when I found I could not transfer all the chapters of an audiobook to my touch - 209 files all play in itunes but when I transfered to my touch I only got 4.
Anywaay, suport advised to reset the touch - I did, but now everything I add to my touch is greyed out when I look at it in itunes and I can't delete them, or play them in itunes.
So what does it mean when the contents of the touch are greyed out .
To be clear I'm looking at the contents of my touch in itunes.
By the way i still only get 4 of the files - but later for that one :)

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
When you're looking at files on the iPod touch and they show up gray that means they were automatically synced over. Synced files cannot be deleted, you have to tell iTunes and the iPod to replace the playlist or the entirety of the library that was transferred over. This is expected. If you want to playback files that are on the iPod in iTunes while its connected you have to enable "Manually manage music" in the summary tab with the iPod name selected in the iTunes sidebar.

hansvon

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
I have the same problem, except when I check "Manually manage", and click apply, a message pops up saying "This iPhone" yes, iPhone, "is currently synced with another computer. Syncing with this library will erase all songs and replace them with this library. " So I obviously click cancel on that, and then my music is still frayed out and "Manage music" remains unchecked.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
I have the same problem, except when I check "Manually manage", and click apply, a message pops up saying "This iPhone" yes, iPhone, "is currently synced with another computer. Syncing with this library will erase all songs and replace them with this library. " So I obviously click cancel on that, and then my music is still frayed out and "Manage music" remains unchecked.

What version of iTunes, version of the iPod software is your iPod touch running? Not sure why the second computer would try to auto-sync when enabling manual management...it should just keep everything on the iPod but give you the ability to add/remove individual songs instead of syncing the entire library/playlist...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.