Greyed out ???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rikito55, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Rikito55 macrumors newbie

Rikito55

Hello,

I am running a Macbook Pro 15" under El Capitan 10.11.3. For the past few weeks, whenever, I am trying to use one of the components of the Share menu or button (email this page, airdrop, messages, etc), it never works and most of the menu actions in the Finder or Safari are becoming greyed and unusable ??? I have been googling for solution, but to no avail. Before I decide to reinstall the OSX, could anyone suggest less drastic solution.

Thanks
    R.

2. Rikito55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rikito55

Just noticed that the same problem occurs when trying to share pictures from Photos, so the issue really seems to originate from the commands "Share"...

3. komatsu macrumors 6502

Sometimes this can be caused by trying to share files which have names which OS X does not like.

Do any of your filenames contravene Apple file name best practices?

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT202808

4. Rikito55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rikito55

--- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2016 ---
    Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be the cause, as the problem occurs with fully legitimate files such ABC795.jpg...

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You do have accounts set up in Mail and Messages as well as Airdrop "on" and set up properly, right?

6. Rikito55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rikito55

--- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2016 ---
    Hello, Brian

I certainly do....

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

That certainly is odd and I haven't seen anything like that.

Have you gone through any of the usual "new test User Account" steps?

Reinstalling isn't really that drastic with El Capitan. If you do that let us know if it fixes it.

8. Rikito55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rikito55

--- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2016 ---
    No, I haven't. I will, before going through the reinstallation

9. Rikito55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rikito55

The new user account was not helping.

I followed the folowing advice from Apple Support:

"here's a problem with your OS X installation. The simplest way, but not the fastest way, to fix it is to reinstall the OS. Unless you're in a hurry or have metered network access, that's what I suggest, especially since I don't know whether there are other problems with the installation. Please back up all data before reinstalling. You won't need the backup unless something goes wrong.

The advanced shortcut below, if it works, may save you some downtime (and the cost of a multi-gigabyte download, if applicable.)

1. Back up all data.

2. Disconnect all external storage devices.

3. Start up in Recovery mode. Select a language, if prompted. The OS X Utilities screen will appear. One of the options is to install OS X. That's not what you're going to do.

4. This step is only necessary if you use FileVault 2. If you don't know what FileVault is, you're not using it. Go to the next step. Otherwise, launch Disk Utility, then select the icon of the FileVault volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another drive icon. Select Unlock from the File menu and enter your login password when prompted. Then quit Disk Utility to be returned to the main screen.

5. Select Get Help Online. Safari will launch. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your bookmarks, but you won't need them. Load this web page.

6. Triple-click anywhere in the line below to select it:

chflags -R norestricted /V*/*/S*/*/Caches
    Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

7. Quit Safari. You'll be returned to the OS X Utilities screen.

From the menu bar, select

Utilities ▹ Terminal

The Terminal application will launch. Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V.

Wait for a new line ending in a hash sign (#) to appear. Quit Terminal to be returned to the main screen.

8. Select

 ▹ Restart

from the menu bar.

9. This step must be carried out after the restart and while you're logged in as an administrator—not in Recovery mode. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Select and copy this line as in Step 6:

sudo /usr/libexec/xpchelper --rebuild-cache
    Paste into a Terminal window as before. You'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. Confirm. You don't need to post the warning.

If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator. Log in as one and start over.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered.

10. Do as in Step 9 with this line:

sudo /usr/libexec/*/app_sandbox_cache_builder --rebuild-cache
    You can then quit Terminal."

It solved the issues, including another one I was facing with a missing com.apple.coresymbolicatond folder missing in the system library caches