Greyscreen on start up, can't boot off DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mandycandy, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Mandycandy macrumors newbie

hi Guys,

problem: yesterday i noticed my mac was having prolonged periods of spinning wheel. I thought i could fix it by repairing permissions and verifying disc. It came up with some errors but i can't remember for the life of me what they were. Anyhoo on reboot, i get the startup sound and immediately to a grey screen, nothing else.

What i've tried:
    Taking out the battery and pressing power for 30secs
    pressing P R command and that other thing and letting it reboot 4-5 times
    Put in the DVD that came with macbook and booting from it by pressing c, nothing happened, same old grey screen (tried pressing D too)
    Similar to above but pressed option instead. I got far as seeing the cursor and nothing else. When i let go of option, the cursor frooze.

what i think is up:
    I know its a problem with the harddrive. I put in an old one and it works flawlessly (and the DVD drive works with it too).

Is there anyway to repair my harddrive? or any other way to boot from the DVD?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If the computer can't boot to the DVD, the problem isn't (exclusively) with the hard drive. Try reinstalling the old drive. It could be that the drive cable was loose.

3. Mandycandy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey! thanks for the reply. I popped in another hard drive and then the macbook was able to boot from DVD and i was able to reinstall mac Osx onto that harddrive again. It's just when i put in my normal HD that it wont load nor let me boot from DVD...