Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Not a complaint, and maybe I missed the memo but while out in the sun with my phone I noticed at an angle there is a grid pattern throughout the entire screen.

It doesn't effect the display in any way and you really have to look for it, but it's there. Just curious what that's all about....

I'd take a picture but I'm too busy playing with my precious, maybe in a few if it's needed.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Not a complaint, and maybe I missed the memo but while out in the sun with my phone I noticed at an angle there is a grid pattern throughout the entire screen.

It doesn't effect the display in any way and you really have to look for it, but it's there. Just curious what that's all about....

I'd take a picture but I'm too busy playing with my precious, maybe in a few if it's needed.

Just a wild guess, but it might be the touch element. I remember seeing similar on my 1st gen iPod touch. Never thought to look for it on my 3GS.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
Devices with capacitive touch panel have the grids and you can see it under very bright light. From my experiences, iPhone/iPad show less than severals other phones, but they still do show under sunlight. Have you owned previous gen iPhone or other smartphone with capacitive touch screen? If you have seen older iPhones, do you think the gird on i4 is more pronouncing than the others?

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Yeah I did have a 3G and 3GS but never noticed it, and I thought I analyzed those with a fine tooth comb. Must have missed it?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
those are the pixels dont worry.

You cannot see pixels on an iPhone 4. The grid though exists on my iPhone 3GS, generally shows up more when there's a bit of grease on the phone. It was hard to get a picture of it but you can see it a bit in the top left of the screen in this pic.

Attachments

• iPhone Grid.jpg
    iPhone Grid.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 360
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.