Griffin Air Curve to require dockable iPhone case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by g00dbye, Sep 30, 2008.

1. g00dbye macrumors member

g00dbye

Hey there. I've been reading into the future release of the Griffin Air Curve which seems like a brilliant idea. The link to the product is as follows:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/aircurve

The reason for my inquiry is to know if this product will require your iPhone/iPod to either be docked without a case or a dockable case or even better, have the room to hold/charge your iPhone inside of its case. I realize that since the product is not readily available, it would be pretty hard to present a hands-on answer, but I'm asking based on the photos of this product. If anybody can possibly confirm this or take your best guess, it would be great as I am personally searching for a new case, and knowing the answer this question would greatly influence my decision of buying a regular case as opposed to a dockable case. Thanks for your time!

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

By the looks of it, you need to dock it without a case, or a case that offers dockable features. It's a good replacement though for Apple's iPhone 3G dock because of its stylish look (that's my two cents)

3. g00dbye thread starter macrumors member

g00dbye

I just got an e-mail back from Griffin saying that the AirCurve will, in fact, require an iPhone with a dockable case. Just letting anyone else that was curious know.

4. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

5. jhkaplan macrumors regular

Seems like a smart business approach, but one that will ultimately keep me from buying this. I was pretty excited about this when I first heard, but I'm not going to go out and buy a dockable case form my usually naked iPhone 2.5G.

6. macfearless macrumors regular

i don't think it means you need a case for your phone, just whatever case you have needs to be able to accommodate a dock without having to remove the case.

7. g00dbye thread starter macrumors member

g00dbye

You're absolutely right. I read the responses and just thought "really?" and presumed that they would figure it out on their own.

8. macfearless macrumors regular

sort of off topic, but does anyone know these are gonna hit shelves?

9. Lamplighter77 macrumors member

Anyone tried it yet?

The Griffin website says its available now. Has anyone got their hands on one yet?

10. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I'm tempted to buy a dock to avoid chipping near my dock port
    (sad to say but yeah constant charging and the tip hitting the plastic caused this)
    unfortunately this dock won't fit Switcheasy's Neo.

I'm eager to hear the reviews if this really amplifies like there's a full-sized speaker
    which they claim on their website.

11. ian-frs macrumors 6502

ian-frs

I ordered one today online. It is supposed to be here Saturday. I will let you all know how it sounds as soon as I get it.

12. g00dbye thread starter macrumors member

g00dbye

Please do! I'm anxious to hear how the AirCurve sounds.

13. jhkaplan macrumors regular

14. ian-frs macrumors 6502

ian-frs

So my AirCurve was supposed to arrive Saturday and it just got here today so this review is a little behind when I wanted to post it. I have been playing with it ever since I got home from work and I have to say its pretty cool. It actually does multiply the sound out of your iPhones speaker. 10 Decibels might be stretching it but its loud enough now for me to hear on the other half of my apartment clearly. Speaker phone was a little funny because I could not be heard by the other party that well. I have yet to test the alarm since I didn’t wake up in the morning to it yet but if the music playing is any hint to how loud this gets when the alarm goes off I have to say this thing will wake just about everyone. I love the design of this thing and it seems well constructed but that doesn’t matter since it’s just going to sit on most peoples night stands. This dock isn’t all good though. There are a few things I did not like about it. For one the dock pieces that are used to fit your phone are made of rubber instead of a hard plastic which takes some of the support away from your phone. Also the routing is horrible. The cable just doesn’t want to stay and you can not just simple plug and unplug your phone like the Apple dock and other 3rd party docks. To unplug your phone you have to pull the cable out a little bit so you can pull it out of the phone. Other then that It’s a great dock and a a great cheaper option then the Apple dock. I give it a 4 out of 5.

15. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Can you post pics?

And about the dock pieces, what's the rubber that you're talking about?

16. macfearless macrumors regular

awesome, i can't wait to get one of my own! sucks about the charging situation though... oh yeah, it's not terribly big, is it?

17. ian-frs macrumors 6502

ian-frs

Sorry about the poor quality pictures my camera is on its way out. It isn't that big at all, the same length of your phone and about an inch and a half tall. I also posted pic's of the dock adapters that are rubber instead of hard plastic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. asuandy macrumors regular

asuandy

Quick Question

Does this stand work without the adapters? Can I keep my case on my iPhone and still dock it? Thank you

19. yymca6 macrumors member

Is dock section same size as Universal dock?

I know for sure cases like Agent 18 Clearshield or Contour clear case fit in the Universal Dock (even in iPod docks). Is the dock section of the Air Curve similar to Universal dock (I guess so if it uses the adaptors but just wanted to make sure)

20. ian-frs macrumors 6502

ian-frs

It will not stand up in the dock without an adapter. I tried with the Griffin Wave, Contour Flick, Incase Slider and Contour iSee. Universal adapters also do not fit on this dock, you have to use the ones that came with the dock. Unless you want to do some modifications by grinding the dock away.

21. Manie Frizzle macrumors member

after looking at those pictures, i think i'm farsighted. i'm going to get my eyes check now, thanks.

:D hahah just kiddin'

22. sonarc macrumors newbie

23. jhkaplan macrumors regular

If anyone wants to purchase one of these, please PM me. I bought one, but decided to just stick with my ihome clock dock for my bedroom. Works perfectly, only used once.

24. cmooreou macrumors member

the neo comes with a universal dock adaptor, wouldnt that work?

25. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Question:
    Answer:
    My friend tried it with the dock adapter for Neo, it never fits.