griffin auto pilot with the iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 1rottenapple, Mar 8, 2008.

1. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot

Has anyone tried using the griffin auto pilot for the iphone? It is for ipods and ipod touch but no iphone support but I was wondering if anyone has tried using this for their iphone? Any issues with the charger being able to charge the iphone adequately or the iphone becoming too warm? I'd be interested to find out.

2. T4R06 macrumors 65816

I'm using now for almost 2 months and I don't have any issue. It is nice option if you have aux option. Better than fm transmitter

3. 1rottenapple thread starter macrumors 65816

You still get the do you want to turn airplane mode on?

4. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

i'm using one like that, it's not by griffin it's by some other company i forget what though

but it works nice =]

5. T4R06 macrumors 65816

don't Bother with airplane mode. Just hit no and it will work normally.

6. 1rottenapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool I bought one. I had my sis call me to test. No interference when the call has happening. Expensive item for a charger, but worth the price of admission especially since I have been rolling on a crappy aux cable that cuts in and out for the past few months.

7. goldendelish macrumors newbie

i just tried it on my iphone it completely froze it. the screen updates about every 4 minutes, but the phone refuses to accept input from the touch sensor or to reboot. am going to the apple store to have them reset it.

8. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Any updates on this? Is there ground-loop interference with this solution (Whining or buzzing through the speakers, especially pronounced when accelerating???)

9. 1rottenapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Correction. The interference did not go away.

I since changed my set up. I returned the autopilot months ago and the apple store guy asked me where my radio antennae ran... It goes to the back of the car, and the increases the interference. I looked up an alternative setup that advocates using the iphone dock since it helps to reduce interference by about 98%. You can sometimes hear it when I am playing a podcast, but for regular music, there is no decernable hissing noise. I now use a regular griffin charger connected to my iphone dock (that is hidden underneath by the shift boot). Then I have the radio aux. port connected to the dock. THen I have a dock extension cable that connects to the ipod. From researching this solution, this seems to be the best without buying a new car. Its expensive, but worth it.

10. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I use this as well. Other then the "Not made for iPhone" screen, it works great for me. No interference, and the "remote" on the plug operates the ipod functions on the phone.