Griffin Autopilot with Bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ddeadserious, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Used to have a Griffin Autopilot. It got stolen from my vehicle a couple weeks ago. I just bought an iPhone 4 with a bumper. Obviously the bumper makes what cables I can use somewhat difficult. The Griffin cable seemed to be a comparable size, I was just wondering if anyone had this combination before I buy a new Autopilot to replace it.

Thanks!

2. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

3. mlukens macrumors member

4. paulmacbeth macrumors member

I managed to get it to fit, but only by cutting a sliver of the black plastic connector away to expose more of the silver connector.

5. opq macrumors member

Would you mind posting a pic of how you modified your AutoPilot? I was thinking of doing the same but the Griffin dock connector on the cable isn't solid plastic, right? Won't shaving a few mm break the plug?

Edit: I wonder if something like this, either an adapter or cable, would work:

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/dockextender/

6. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I bought one and got it to fit very well. The dock connector is a two piece ordeal. There's a really slim grey connector under the clunky black cover. The black shell can be pried off without damaging the underlying connector. The underlying grey connector fits with the bumper perfectly and looks fine. I taped off the Griffin logo and spraypainted the rest of the connector black. I'll grab a photo next time I'm in my Jeep.