Griffin BreakSafe Magnetic USB-C Power Cable suitable for MacBook Pro 15" late 2016?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tryrtryrtryrt, Oct 28, 2016.

1. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

Hi,

https://griffintechnology.com/intl/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

Specification says Griffin BreakSafe Magnetic USB-C Power Cable is only rated up to 60 watts (20 volts @ 3 amps). MacBook Pro 15" late 2016 charger is rated at 87 watts.

Will Griffin supply 87 watts if inserted into this charger and work OK, will it supply only 60 watts as per specification or will it not work at all?

I'm wondering if MacBook's Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port implements USB 3.1 gen 2 charging ability? Is USB-C charging cable compatible with this Thunderbolt 3 port at all?

Everyone please share your thoughts.

Thank you!

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

The new 15" macbook pro from yesterdays release has charging on all 4 usb-c ports.

3. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

I wouldn't bother. doubt it will burn out or damage the machine but it may have an internal breaker that will cause it to pass no power at all. you should contact Griffin with your question.

never thought much about USB-C until yesterday's announcement. now the more I look, the messier it gets, with no universal view of power delivery and no explanation of the possibilities or consequences between various manufacturers and products. a lot of people will be buying a lot of things that don't really work or cause problems and the answer is going to be multiple versions of the same thing to support different devices.