Griffin BreakSafe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Unprocessed1, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Wondering if anyone is charging their MBP with a Griffin Breaksafe and what their thoughts are. As a dog owner, charging with the USB-C cable makes me incredibly nervous.

Also curious if there are other manufacturers planning to release magsafe alternatives in the near future.

2. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

Tweet from the manufacturer today:

3. cmaier macrumors G3

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

5. cmaier macrumors G3

i signed up for two, too. figure it can't hurt.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Looks like a great project. Just hope that the adapter being plugged into one port doesn't get in the way of the other. Doesn't look like it will but you never know.

7. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Does it come with a Brick? I don't think it does, I thought it was just the cable and the adapter then you use what came with your laptop.

8. cmaier macrumors G3

no brick, but like any conductor or wire it has a maximum current it supports, which is less than the full current the apple charger delivers to the 15" tMBP.

9. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

What an idiotic release then by Girffin. Why wouldn't they maximize at the wattage of the 15? I can get this because I have a 13 but seems kind of stupid on their part.

10. cmaier macrumors G3

they came out with this before the new MBP's were announced, originally for the 12" MacBook.

11. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

I believe the current one they're selling was designed long before the 15" MBP was even announced... it'd be nice if they made a new one for the 15", however.

edit - Beat..

12. billcao macrumors member

Mine plugged into 15'' TB just says "Not charging"

13. cmaier macrumors G3

hmm, that's not good. it should (albeit slowly). Maybe it only charges when the machine is not in use.

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I backed that Kickstarter project about a week ago. Seems like the best option for now! Looking forward to testing it out after its released.

I've only had my new MBP for about 36 hours and I have to admit, I'm extremely nervous about something tripping over the cable...and I don't have any pets or kids! I love the new MBP, but I have to admit, I'm really shocked Apple didn't design some kind of MagSafe solution...

15. jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Because it gives users the CHOICE. Many don't want or like MagSafe (eg. pundit Andy Ihnatko, for one), as in some situations it can be a pain in the backside as much as it can be a saviour in others. This way, many versions can be designed and made by third parties, to fit different cables lengths/types, should users want to use one, or not.
    I'm pro choice, so are most people on peripherals, so this really is a win/win for everyone.