Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Wondering if anyone is charging their MBP with a Griffin Breaksafe and what their thoughts are. As a dog owner, charging with the USB-C cable makes me incredibly nervous.

Also curious if there are other manufacturers planning to release magsafe alternatives in the near future.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Reactions: poorcody

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Does it come with a Brick? I don't think it does, I thought it was just the cable and the adapter then you use what came with your laptop.
no brick, but like any conductor or wire it has a maximum current it supports, which is less than the full current the apple charger delivers to the 15" tMBP.

Reactions: skids929

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
no brick, but like any conductor or wire it has a maximum current it supports, which is less than the full current the apple charger delivers to the 15" tMBP.

What an idiotic release then by Girffin. Why wouldn't they maximize at the wattage of the 15? I can get this because I have a 13 but seems kind of stupid on their part.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
What an idiotic release then by Girffin. Why wouldn't they maximize at the wattage of the 15? I can get this because I have a 13 but seems kind of stupid on their part.

they came out with this before the new MBP's were announced, originally for the 12" MacBook.

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
I believe the current one they're selling was designed long before the 15" MBP was even announced... it'd be nice if they made a new one for the 15", however.

edit - Beat..

Reactions: skids929

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I backed that Kickstarter project about a week ago. Seems like the best option for now! Looking forward to testing it out after its released.

I've only had my new MBP for about 36 hours and I have to admit, I'm extremely nervous about something tripping over the cable...and I don't have any pets or kids! I love the new MBP, but I have to admit, I'm really shocked Apple didn't design some kind of MagSafe solution...

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I backed that Kickstarter project about a week ago. Seems like the best option for now! Looking forward to testing it out after its released.

I've only had my new MBP for about 36 hours and I have to admit, I'm extremely nervous about something tripping over the cable...and I don't have any pets or kids! I love the new MBP, but I have to admit, I'm really shocked Apple didn't design some kind of MagSafe solution...
Because it gives users the CHOICE. Many don't want or like MagSafe (eg. pundit Andy Ihnatko, for one), as in some situations it can be a pain in the backside as much as it can be a saviour in others. This way, many versions can be designed and made by third parties, to fit different cables lengths/types, should users want to use one, or not.
I'm pro choice, so are most people on peripherals, so this really is a win/win for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.