Griffin Clarifi case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Daremo, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

2. yoAlex macrumors member

yoAlex

3. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Wow! Awesome pics. Can you please take a pic of the lens you use? I'm interested in the Clarifi case for that sole purpose even though I just ordered a Vaja case.

4. yoAlex macrumors member

yoAlex

Here is a link to the magnifier I purchased at Radio Shack >> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102638

Handling both the iPhone and magnifier is a bit tricky at first, but eventually you will get used to it (like we all got used to typing on the iPhone) ... may be "ugly", but its cheap and the picture quality is superb.

FYI ... here is a blog write-up >> http://themobileexperience.blogspot.com/2008/09/9-iphone-macro-lens-produce-stellar.html

5. reliantj macrumors 6502

i'll never use that.
    plus i'm getting 2 rebels for $30
    =p

6. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Thanks Alex for the links!!! I might get one just to play with.

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Thanks for the link Daremo. I've been looking for a case similar to the Slider since they don't seem to want to release a glossy black version (not crazy about the peeling problem). The bottom slides off just like the Slider, and although it's not completely glossy, it'll be nice to have the option to take macro pics with my iPhone. Can't wait for this to come out.

8. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

Those pics are great. Thanks for this tip, I need to look into this!

9. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

Just got back from RadioShack and picked one of these up. Alex, you sir are my hero. This works AMAZINGLY. No need for this case for me, your idea is brilliant. Thanks for posting this!

10. yoAlex macrumors member

yoAlex

EXCELLENT!! Yeah - it really does produce amazing images - I was actually really surprised ... just make sure you have decent light, then move your iphone around to achieve the best shooting/clarity angle

One tip ... unlike most cameras, the iPhone camera's shutter releases when you move your finger off the shutter release button ... so most times I actually hold the iPhone with my finger on the shutter release - I compose my shot - and then I gently slide or take my finger off the shutter release icon - totally helps holding the iPhone and achieving sharper images.

Daremo ... you should throw your work on Flikcr - there is an iPhone Macro group where your images would be perfect ... would love to check them out.

11. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

I'm going to play with it when I get a better light source. For tonight, just to test it out, I tried a few of my daughters toys with lamp light. I wanted to try text, again, just to test. For everyone else, check this out... Here are two shots, almost identical, without, then with the magnifier lens, again, using nothing more then a lamp as my light source. Same exact distance. I'm amazed at how well this works. I will join the Macro group shortly, as soon as I take a few shots I'm proud of!

Attached Files:

12. yoAlex macrumors member

yoAlex

LOL ... I'm laughing because such a simple/crude magnifier is so impressive and can make such a difference ... very good example/comparison!

13. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

I joined the group. My screen there is Pale Haunt, and I upped two images of my caps lock button. I'm loving this. Thanks again for this tip!

14. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Wow! I'm sold. I'm going to get one of these tools tonight and test it out. I would love to get clear snapshots of business cards.

15. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

I tried this tonight. As I was able to get the text perfectly clear, I could not get the entire 3.5" card in the shot. I think you need a larger magnifier to do that. It's great for close ups, maybe 2.5" maximum. Maybe Alex knows a better way to get clear business cards?

16. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

just joined the flickr group, same user name.

17. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

WOW!! I need to get that magnifier. You do have a good eye for photography too.

18. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Having seen some of the amazing photos that can be taken with a simple magnifier I would imagine that this case works well. I would live anyone who has had a 'touchy feely' to give feedback or even pictures. As long as they rest of the case didnt turn the phone into a pig I might be tempted.

19. demiurgical macrumors member

I ordered the Clarifi case through Apple store online and just received it. Over all impression is that it's pretty well made. The shiny back does show smudges.

I've been using the iSkin Revo 3G and compared to the Clarifi, the Revo provides more protection in my opinion if you happen to drop your phone since it's entirely made of rubber. I've dropped it a few times already in the Revo and it's still in perfect condition. I'm sure the Clarifi will probably scratch if dropped on hard surface (the case itself, not the phone).

Revo only leaves the touch screen exposed as the Clarifi leaves the entire front of the iPhone exposed. It does come with a full front screen protector film, but I haven't used it yet since I still have the one that came with the Revo on which only covers the actual touch screen section. Not sure if I'm going to keep the Clarifi, if I do it's only because of the macro lens which works quite nicely. I find myself sliding it back and forth while looking at the screen in camera mode ~ blurry, not blurry, blurry, not blurry... yeah I'm easily entertained LOL.

Here are some pictures:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/demiurgical/Clarifi?authkey=HOqcz6L9U1U#

20. Brokendemo macrumors newbie

What about

Does the Clarifi case work with the original iphone at all? I am actually rocking a 4gb phone at the moment, which does seem to fit into most 3G cases. However, I can't find the Clarifi in stores to try the phone in and am worried that the camera on the 4gb will not line up with the hole for the lens on the Clarifi case.

Anyone know if it would work or am I out of luck? Any help would be great, I have been holding out on getting a case for so long now I might as well just wrap the thing in a sock.

Also, that 3-Lens Magnifier idea is BRILLIANT. If nothing else, I will go in that direction for sure. I think the idea of having the magnifier on the case sounds a little better, just beacuse that way I always have the lens option with me, rather then having to carry the 3-Lens Magnifier around in my pocket or something.

21. skorpien macrumors 68020

Now I know not all cases are created equal, but seeing as the Clarify is a slider-type case and a hard case at that, one would assume that if an iPhone were to fit in another slider-type hard case (such as the Incase Slider) and the camera lines up well enough on that, then it should be fairly close if not dead on with the Clarify case as well.

However this is all based on assumptions and I have no clear evidence to back this up, so please take this with a grain of salt :)

22. Lolento macrumors newbie

The photos look good and all but I had two different Griffin cases before and found their build quality to be subpar.

I had the Nuform, and the surface finish on the bottom black part started peeling off after one month. The iphone only goes in and out of my pocket.

I also had the Elan form, I got it because I figure the leather surface can be scratched and still not noticeable... After a couple of weeks, the leather is peeling off from the corner.

In both case, the screen protector is absolutely defective. It creates weird bubbles on the screen. I had to shell out and buy new screen protectors. However, the sticky type screen protector is too thin and leaves a gap on the sides of the case where the two meets. This ends up like a dust collector location. If the two cases didn't break down so quick the dust may have ended up scratching up my iphone.