Griffin Elan Form Anger

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dayloon, Jun 25, 2009.

1. dayloon macrumors 6502

Hi All,

I purchased my new 3GS on launch day and as soon as i removed it from the box, i put it in my new Elan Form case. The back of the phone didn't have so much as a finger print on it. It has stayed in the case ever since. However, today i carefully removed the phone from the case only to discover that the back is all scratched up. WTF ?!? Whats the point in designing a case which scratches the damn phone ? It's really annoyed me to be honest. A £440 phone scatched to bits by the damn case which is meant to protect it against scratches. I've fired off an email to Griffin complaining about it but i dont expect them to actually do anything about it :(

So....Avoid the Elan Form !!

2. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Bummer of a thing for you man. Yeah, unfortunately this case is known to do this. There were a lot of reports about it last year with the iPhone 3G. :(

3. Vanel macrumors newbie

Just bought this case, it's an extremely tight fit, I was very worried putting it on, when I took it off I thought it was gonna be all scratched to hell, I just now took it off after about 3 hours and it seems fine, I think I'm gonna return it though, it just feels way to tight to not cause some damage at some point.

4. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

5. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I have a 2 week old 3GS with the Clarifi. and there is a nasty vertical scratch on the back about 3/4" long where the 2 pieces are joined together from right where it says 32GB down to the 2 small lines of writing right below it. That's the last "easy dock" case I will ever buy.

[​IMG]

6. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

When I first got my 3G I had it in an Elan Form and it scratched the back of my phone as well, 2 long scratches. I had since replaced that phone for other reasons, and now have a 3GS. I will never put my phone in any Griffin case, I think all of their cases suck and do more harm than good.

7. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Avoid EVERYTHING from Griffen. I had the same experience with a Clarifi. Obviously the stuff is c-r-a-p. I just sent an email myself with a link to this thread. On my last iPhone I used a Bodyguardz. I should have stuck with that.

8. V4705 macrumors 6502

i don't know why you're so surprised...
    every hard case with no separating from the phone itself (like silicone rails, silicone coating, rubber layer etc...) will scratch your phone and it doesn't matter if its 1$ or 50$ product.

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I didn't see that written on the Griffin box, or on their website that "All phones will be damaged by our hard cases." Actually it says the case will fully protect the phone. :rolleyes: I bought a case to protect the phone not to damage it so that's what I ASSumed this one would do..

10. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I have an Incase slider, and to prevent scratches like this, I take my iPhone out of the case every two or three days to wipe it down and put it back in. If you don't take the case off for two weeks, there is going to be so much dust buildup that taking it off will obviously scratch the phone when sliding off. I presume that's what happened in your case (no pun intended.) Still very unfortunate and I feel your pain :(

11. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

In my case (pun INtended) I never removed it from the case from day 1 since I used a Univ Dock to charge it while it was in the case. Catch 22 is if removing it from the case is what causes it to scratch then removing it to clean it would also so either way you'll scratch it. The first removal last night (or maybe the original installation) had to have scratched it. The phone is only 2 weeks old.

12. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

man that sucks. hopefully u get some credit like me. i didnt have that problem with this case only but their other cases are absolutely horrible. just buy a dock from them if u dont want their cases.

13. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Well this was a year ago, I don't have that phone anymore and quite frankly while it was a nice offer, I really don't want anything Griffin has to offer. Now if they offered me 100.00 in cash then maybe I would press.

My current 3GS is covered with a best skins ever and is scratch free thankfully. That Griffin scratched my first Iphone 3g like a week after getting it, I was SO pissed off.

Good job getting something out of it at least.

14. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

The best way to remove any slider is to blow spray air up the back before you slide it off

15. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I have the same case and I do the same thing with mine. Had it for 2 weeks now and still looks beautiful.

16. astudentis macrumors regular

I returned mine two weeks after I bought it when the 3GS came. It is definitely going to scratch my phone, considering I have a habit of leaving the case on for a few weeks, and dust does build up underneath the case...sliding the case with dust under it would be horrific.