Griffin Elan Form-is it that bad?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by map1978, Jan 29, 2009.

1. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I think this case looks great because I don't like the flashy funky cases. The black pleather reminds me of my bold and it gives it that adult look/feel. I keep hearing that the case peels in certain places and is junk after a few months. Is it that bad? Or are people just crazy about ripping and pulling apart there cases?

Anyone have this case care to share there experience?

Any other non-flashy cases out there? I'm thinking the black matte incase slider....anything else?

Thanks in advance.

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

That was my very first case and I can attest that it really does peel, the leather looks aweful and they can't just glue it properly. Bear in mind I went with 3 of these cases and they were all like that. I don't know if it has changed since then.

3. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

Ughh thats very disappointing because that would be a great case for me. I'm 30 years old and want something adult looking. Any suggestions? I'm gonna get the black matte slider but can you think of anything else?

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Is that your only criterion for the case: non flashy and adult looking? It seems you like cases with a feel onto it (leather or matte)

The black matte slider, based on my experience also peels, and others with the same problem posted it here (can't copy paste the link, iPhone)

Are you looking for minimal bulk? You can try the Seidio Innocase. If bulk is ok go with Switcheasy Capsule Neo in black.

5. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

Yes I am looking for something non flashy. Hmmm, the slider peels? Haven't heard that before. Maybe I'll check out the gunmetal slider than. No clear hard cases either (I have the griffin iclear). No pouches or $100 vaja cases interest me either. Guess I'm gonna have to spend an hour at my apple store this weekend. (ex employee here). Plus I guess I can check out ilounge.com for there hefty review on cases.

That Seidio would be great too but that circle cut out is hideous. Hate cases like that. I know I sound picky, but just want a slider type with lay on the table that looks adult like. Am I asking for too much? lol

That Griffin would have been perfect, too bad :(

Thanks for your input

6. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

The black matte slider no longer peels and I had a Griffin and had no problems with the leather coming off. Just because it happens to a few does not mean it will happen to all of them, and if it does just return it. ALL products have a % that fail, yet we still buy things right?

It's only a 25.00 dollar case, if you like it, just try it for yourself. Like I said I liked that Griffin Elan quite a bit, and it never peeled on me after heavy use.

People have problems with the Neo as well, I have none. But based on that logic that would be a bad case too, in fact I think every case out there at some point has caused a problem for someone.

I too can't stand the cut out holes on some of the cases out there, I think it looks so stupid.

7. dpassen1 macrumors newbie

Check out the Rivet Hard Leather case, perhaps?

8. 3gbuff macrumors member

I can also attest that my Elan Form has been great so far. Ive had it for close to 4 months now and used it maybe 1 month on my phone without a problem. It feels nice in the hand and looks classy.

Another good looking case is the Griffin Reflect. Ive only had positive remarks on it since i put it on around 2 weeks ago.

9. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Based on the posts above I guess they might have improved the case.

10. claukd macrumors newbie

I love the elan form case....I've had it for a while and have had no problems with it....I actuall ordered the new elan form with chrome accents that they announced at Macworld. I'll compare that to my all black one and then decide which one I like better.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elan-form-chrome

If you decide to get one, there's a promo code.

MACWORLD2009

This will give 25% off from Griffin's site, plus they offer free shipping.

11. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

Thank you all for your honest input. It is only a $20-25 case and I guess I can give it a shot.

Let us know about that chrome elan. Looks nice :D

12. AGIPSY macrumors regular

the griffin's fine, i used it for awhile when I first got my phone and it looked and felt just fine--and it protects the phone well. just be sure to clean it out frequently. if you like the design, then get it, it's a good case.

13. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

I ordered one so hopefully I don't get a lemon. I haven't seen any other "male adult" looking sliders. I have the iclear but feel it looks kiddish with the clear look. I'm still thinking of getting a incase slider so I can swap both cases and they won't get worn out.

Thanks for your input

14. claukd macrumors newbie

I got the new one yesterday in the mail. The Chrome accents look very nice....I do prefer this new over the solid black one.

15. ASN21 macrumors member

The first and only case I got for my iphone 3g, it SCRATCHES the hell out of the back of your phone. Stay away from it....

16. apple281 macrumors member

+1 My friend has it and it scratched his phone pretty bad!

17. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

Yeah I ordered it but I think i am gonna send it right back. Thought I might like it but plastic on plastic doesn't sound too good.

I ordered the Seidio Innocase II (no holster). Love that it covers the bezel, keeps a slim look, and has the felt inside the case. A few days ago I couldn't stand the look of the circle cutout, but I think I can grow to like it. The case has more pros than cons.

So bye bye griffin, hello Innocase :D

18. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

I apologize if this goes against any terms and conditions but I'm selling my Gunmetal Incase Slider on eBay if anyone is interested. It's in perfect condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=643591

Now that one can scratch your bezel. ;)

20. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

i know that case-mate makes some nice leather cases that have that executive look and feel. I had one with my 1st iPhone -- loved it.

21. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

I'm more worried about the back plastic being all scuffed scratched up. The bezel will always get hair line scratches with any case.

I feel more comfortable with the felt inside than the griffin "just plastic" inside look.

22. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Yeah that's true. The bezel scratches from the air hitting it just right, it's unavoidable. The slider has rubber bumpers, the innocase has felt, I suppose the Griffin should have a padding material to buffer the phone a bit.