Griffin Elan Passport - Fantastic!!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by henrikrox, Apr 7, 2010.

1. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Hi

just got my griffin elan passport, and after seeing the flimsy apple case and the bulky incase book jacket, i orderd this one, arived today, and its fantastick. really great quality! looks amazing

[​IMG]

2. decson macrumors regular

Any chance of some pix

Can you stand it up with it, or put the cover right back, etc?

3. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Interesting. How secure are those corner straps? And what are they - elastic?

I have my Kindle2 in something similar and the corners of the device have a tendency to pop out from time to time.

4. barnetda macrumors regular

Looks really nice. Very sleek.

I guess it cant double as a stand though?

5. ImaVeggie macrumors regular

ImaVeggie

6. CanonicalKoi macrumors regular

7. danny_w macrumors 601

Looks very similar to a case I have for my Kindle2. How thick is it compared to the (very thin) Apple case, or the (very thick) Incase Convertible? I want something thin and light. I bought the Apple case last night and like it a lot so far, mainly for its thinness and "grippiness".

8. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Any case I buy must function as an easel. It improves typing and makes it easier to see the ipad screen when its sitting on my desk. Being a kickstand would be nice too.

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Have you seen any that do this at a reasonable price? The case prices for this thing are ridiculous so far. As with anything we will see prices fall as more come to market.

10. btcutter macrumors 6502

Missing

1. fold and elevate at 30 degree angle and typing in landscape.
    2. pocket wit cleaning cloth:D

it does look better than the Apple case otherwise.

11. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

umm, and that's not bulky? looks like it to me. defeats the whole purpose of the product

12. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Just the apple case so far. Thin profile and offers both features.

13. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Looks 'upscale' but I need a kickstand.

I find the Apple case to be just right for now, until someone comes out with a case that is elegant, non-bulky, *and* can perform kickstand duties.

14. danny_w macrumors 601

+1

15. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

You could solve both problems:

Get a good cloth, and put it flat in the case...
    Then, if you want elevation, fold the case over, roll-up the cloth, and jam it behind the screen. viola...

16. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

This looks nice:

http://www.quirky.com/products/30-Cloak

I'm just not sure how well it'll work as an easel. Easel is a must have for me.

17. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Are you saying the apple case has a pocket with cleaning cloth? I'm confused.

18. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

The Quirky is definitely one of my top picks when it becomes available, but I also saw this earlier today (which is also not yet available). (Apologies if this is well known in the Big Accessories Thread, haven't been able to keep up with that one.):

http://www.medgestore.com/products/ipad-platform.psp

19. barnetda macrumors regular

20. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

21. WilliamG macrumors 604

No kidding. I'll stick with the Apple case. At least it props the iPad case up for landscape typing.

22. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I'm sticking with my $39 Apple case, too. The only change I would make is to add a pocket for a few papers so I can store handouts if I go to a meeting with my iPad and not have to worry about them falling out the end as I'm leaving.

The Apple case is a very good design in several ways. It protects the screen when folded closed. It props the iPad up in what I call "Commodore 64 mode" for typing. It is not slippery and makes carrying and holding onto the iPad a lot easier. I would hate to think how many times I would have dropped my iPad by now if I didn't have it in the Apple case.

To get the iPad into the Apple case, I had to use a considerable amount of force. It isn't gonna slip out. Those flimsy looking clips on the Elan case look like an accident waiting to happen.

If you buy an Elan case, try this before actually using it for your iPad. Insert an unbreakable object about the size and weight of the iPad and then drop the case and see if the object pops out. If the object popped out, I suggest you return the Elan case and get the Apple case. With those flimsy corners, I would expect the iPad to be ejected from the case for even a 2 foot drop.

23. barnetda macrumors regular

I called them and they said within 2 weeks and should be around the same price as the kindle covers ($50-60 in leather).

24. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

25. MSampson macrumors member

look at this one. clicky. It says pre-order though too. The Quirky one and maybe this one are on the top of my list so far.