Griffin Elevator?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Apocrathia, May 3, 2009.

1. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elevator
    I've been looking into getting one of these things for a while now. I plan on getting a new iMac in August and I'm wanting to get something like this to sit my MacBook on and my Mac mini underneath. Does anyone have one? thoughts? does it hold the macbook well without slipping? is the height good for you? does it line up with your iMac, if that's your setup? etc...

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

The elevator is nice. Another favorite around here is the m-stand. They both do the job, the mstand has more tilt to it. Neither one will slip.

3. progressweasel macrumors newbie

progressweasel

RE: Griffin Elevator

I have the m stand from Rain Design (raindesigninc.com) and it is great. I have a 24" monitor and the m stand. I have my primary work on the 24" and background stuff (mail, chat, ...) on the MBA screen and it works like a champ.

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

The Elevator is cheap and plastic, go with the mStand.

5. Apocrathia thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure about the mstand because I don't think I would have enough room to put my mac mini underneath it without a cd hitting the top of the stand. I like the design of it much more because it more closely resembles the imac's base. Plus I'm putting a blackbook on it (not getting a mbp until january), I don't think the aluminum piece in the front would look right.

6. JBazz macrumors 6502

I have one and it is great for watching movies. It is not cheaply made. It is aluminum and acrylic. Very stylish. Plus it breaks down to carry in your laptop bag.

Attached Files:

7. Apocrathia thread starter macrumors 6502

have you ever had trouble with either of your macbooks slipping off of the stand?

8. JBazz macrumors 6502

9. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

I recently bought an Elevator from the Apple Store, and I use it to hold up my Macbook. It works just fine. I was worried after reading a thread where some had problems with their 17 inch MBP sliding off the thing, but I haven't seen any indication that my Macbook is in danger. It stays on the stand perfectly well.

Some folks love the mStand, it is a nice looking piece of equipment, but the Elevator isn't bad looking in the least and does the job.

10. harrychang macrumors newbie

get the mstand. the tilt gives you more desk space

11. macgrl macrumors 65816

I like the elevator as it can be dismantled and put in my bag :)

12. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

I use an Elevator at work and an mStand at home and I would highly recommend the mStand over the elevator.

The Elevator drives me nuts the way the legs slip and slide out of the base (I finally glued them in permanently) the mStand is just a single pretty piece.

13. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

Are you moving it often? My sits perfectly still, and I've never had this problem, so I wonder what's causing it.

14. Apocrathia thread starter macrumors 6502

The mstand's design is nice, but it just doesn't look like you would be able to fit anything under it. I'm wanting to put my mac mini under the laptop stand, which is why i'm leaning more to the elevator. the mstand just looks like there wouldn't be enough room for the mac mini and the inch or so of space behind it for cords.

15. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

Sometimes it used to get bumped or nudged, plus even when I'd lay the MBP on it sometimes a leg would slip out a little, a little enough to annoy me. I'm much happier since I glued the legs inside the bottom crossbar/base.

16. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I had the Elevator before I got an external monitor - it was great to slip a WD MyBook under - it fit perfectly between the legs. I never had any trouble with my computer slipping or anything and it worked great.

17. Apocrathia thread starter macrumors 6502

I was able to go to the apple store and work with the elevator hands on a bit. A mac mini fits perfectly underneath it. it almost feels as if it were designed with the purpose in mind. I'm definitely sold on it now, thanks for everyone's help as well.