Griffin iClear- 1st good case for iPod touch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by usedbert, Sep 23, 2008.

1. usedbert macrumors newbie

I looked for new cases for the iPod touch 2G and there weren't any to be found at the apple store. I went to best buy to see if I could get lucky and 2 separate employees asked me if I needed help finding anything; and they said that they don't have anything in stock yet for the 2G.
    Then I looked through the racks and found 2 different cases that said on the lable "for the new iPod touch." So even if you ask more than 1 employee you should still look for yourself.

The 1st case was a silicone case from belkin and looked like it would be fine but i did not care for the "zebra" red and black print on the back, the other was the Griffin iClear. I decided to give it a try and see how it worked. I love the case as it covers the whole ipod (except for the screen where you have to touch it) and even shows my engraving clearly on the back. It comes with a belt clip and an armband for jogging/ working out.
    All this was great and when i opened it I was stunned to find that it even came with a clear screen protector inside. This is the only screen protector that I have found without purchasing online. The screen protector is great and I can't even tell it's on. If you find any lint underneath the screen after you put it on, just pull up the corner and use a piece of clear tape and it pulls off any lint. The case should be out at all local best buys but you might want to check to see if it's in stock before you drive out.

I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a case, armband, belt clip, or screen protector; because it comes with all four for 25 bucks. I thought it was a good deal and anyone wanting to keep their ipod brand new should check it out.

here's the griffin website for it, I couldn't find it on best buys website.
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/iclear

2. seamustry macrumors member

what about volume control openings?

can you easily press the volume buttons? sleep button? home button?

3. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I got the iClear for my first Gen and love it. Simple and effective.

4. Phish311 macrumors regular

i have the same case and love it. it has all the proper gaps for the volume control and sleep button at the top. Screen protector was easy to put on and generally i struggle with them

5. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Thanks to the OP for this thread.

I have a few questions and would love to hear opinions either from you or other posters:

1) Drop-proofing: It looks like a hard plastic case. Does it seem up to the task of protecting the Touch against serious damage if occasionally dropped? I haven't had that problem with my 5g, but my main reason for getting a case is to protect my investment not from scratches (which I still don't want), but from breaking. I don't mind having to replace a $25 case so much if it cracks, as long as I don't have to replace what it's meant to protect, too.

2) Bulk: Is the case reasonably light and/or bulk-free? My iSkin's done great, but it seems to nearly double the 5g's weight and heft.

3) Belt clip, arm band, etc.: Are these completely removable? I'd rarely use either of these. They're great to have as long as they don't have to be used. My experience with the iSkin's been fine, but removing it's belt clip is clunky and awkward.

4) What do you like/dislike about this case? I'm torn between it, the DLO Jam Jacket (I like the earbud solution, even if it is a bit bulky), and the Black duroSHOT Polycarbonate Hard Case.

Thanks in advance for any responses. :)

6. Phish311 macrumors regular

1) Drop-proofing: It looks like a hard plastic case. Does it seem up to the task of protecting the Touch against serious damage if occasionally dropped? I haven't had that problem with my 5g, but my main reason for getting a case is to protect my investment not from scratches (which I still don't want), but from breaking. I don't mind having to replace a $25 case so much if it cracks, as long as I don't have to replace what it's meant to protect, too.

- i haven't dropped it but it seems very sturdy.

2) Bulk: Is the case reasonably light and/or bulk-free? My iSkin's done great, but it seems to nearly double the 5g's weight and heft.

- doesn't add to much bulk. it does add a little but considering how thin the ipod is already, it still feels very thin

3) Belt clip, arm band, etc.: Are these completely removable? I'd rarely use either of these. They're great to have as long as they don't have to be used. My experience with the iSkin's been fine, but removing it's belt clip is clunky and awkward.

- i removed all those things and its fine. not a problem

4) What do you like/dislike about this case? I'm torn between it, the DLO Jam Jacket (I like the earbud solution, even if it is a bit bulky), and the Black duroSHOT Polycarbonate Hard Case.

- i like that it feels sturdy, protects my ipod, comes with a screen protector, and protects the back from scratches.

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

SWEEEET!
    This is what I have been waiting for.
    I am getting a 2G iPod touch on Sunday, so hopefully this case will be in stores by then.

Thank you for telling us ^_^

8. Phish311 macrumors regular

as stated earlier, while this case is not in apple stores, ive seen it in a number of best buys in the MD/DC area.

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Is there any chance it will be in Apple Stores by Sunday or anytime around there?

10. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

I can confirm that while in the Baltimore area, I saw this and several other cases at the BB in Arundel Mills Mall. The CC nearby had nothing.

Phish, thanks also for your response. Now, before you laugh and laugh and fall apart, can I borrow $25 plus 6% MD sales tax? I will gladly buy you a cheeseburger on Tuesday.:)

11. mariotheotaku macrumors regular

I spoke with a sales rep and he told me they should have the cases for the 2g by the beginning of October

12. Phish311 macrumors regular

Id almost say yes since you put in that nice little reference there :). If anyone else has any q's, feel free to ask. i got a lot of help on these boards so im happy to give it back. Sharin in the groove

13. soccerplayaatl macrumors member

Thanks so much. I was just wondering how does the arm band/clip look/attach onto the actual case? Can you post some pictures of them connected and then with all of them off (from the back)? Is there holes in the back where they connect? Because of that, is dirt or anything able to get in?

And also, if you could post a picture of the front so I can see what all is covered, that would be great. I hear that it no longer covers the bottom part of the front around the Home button at all, so I just want to see how it actually looks.

I want to buy it ASAP so I can open up my iPod Touch, so hopefully I will be able to pick it up this weekend.

Thanks in advance for all the questions/picture requests.

14. JoeMcE macrumors newbie

OtterBox

Go to www.OtterBox.com...I just bought a Defender case for my touch,,,I trust Otter box with my weapons and electronics in the field,,I defintely trust them with my Ipod...