Griffin iMic Only Works On One USB Port

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by djxpress, Apr 7, 2011.

1. djxpress macrumors member

I have a 2010 15" i5 MBP. I got one of the white iMics and it works fine on the port thats closest to the screen. However, when I plug it in to the port that's closer to the SD slot, it doesn't work. Under the audio settings screen, I see the iMic under Input, and the slider is to the right, but the VU meter doesn't register anything. However, when it's in the USB port by the power adapter, it works as it should.

I have read that certain model MBPs have USB ports that are not the same, and some people have problems with programs like Serato when it's plugged into the front port. Traktor and Serato have even mentioned that on the MBP there is one "good" port and one "bad" port.

Curious if anyone else noticed this. Again, it seems to only affect 2010 i5 MBPs.

2. Ambivalent macrumors newbie

I have the same issue on MacBook Air, can't get iMic to transmit any audio through the left-side USB port of my 11" 2010 MacBook Air. The right-side USB port works perfectly. I've no idea why, and it comes as a surprise that the ports don't behave identically...