Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Griffin Technology has announced a new BreakSafe Magnetic USB-C Power Cable for the Retina MacBook, which makes up for the lack of Apple's own MagSafe technology on the 12-inch notebook. The six-foot cable is also compatible with other USB-C notebooks like the Chromebook Pixel and will be available in April for $39.99.

Griffin-USB-C-BreakSafe-Cable.jpg

BreakSafe has a patented quick-release magnetic connector that plugs into the Retina MacBook and safely disconnects from the rest of the cable when put under stress or strain -- for example, if someone trips over the power cord. The 12.8mm connector is small enough that it can be left in the USB-C port without using much space.

Griffin-USB-C.jpg

The Nashville-based accessory maker also unveiled a wider range of USB-C adapters and three-foot cables, including a USB-C to USB-A adapter ($19.99), USB-C to USB-A cable ($19.99), USB-C to Micro USB cable and USB-C to USB-C cable ($29.99). The adapters and cables are available now through Griffin's website.

Last, Griffin's iMic USB-C audio interface will be available for $49.99 in Q2 2016.

Article Link: Griffin Introduces BreakSafe Magnetic USB-C Power Cable for 12-Inch MacBook

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
This is one of those places where the tech reviewers are actually out of touch.

Someone like Andy Ihnatko was thrilled Apple moved to USB-C because he hated how the Magsafe adapter came unplugged.

The reality is, in everyday life, the end user would rather have their device get unplugged than be pulled off a table by a dog, child, or adult. I feel that the USB C move was a step backwards in that regard. Good for Griffin. Hope they sell loads of these.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I don't own a rMB. For those that do is this a real issue? Sometimes I think accessories are a solution in search of a problem.

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
Why not just have an magnetic adaptor for $9.99 like the one Apple began selling after it went from MagSafe 1 to MagSafe 2 a few years ago? Why the need for a completely new overpriced cable?

Reactions: appledefenceforce

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
apple missed the opportunity, it would be a great addition to the larger iPads as well, being able to have an adapter that could be easily removable instead of being accident prone. but that also could be on the user as well.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Cool idea, but I think that Apple should have built Magsafe directly into the MacBook somehow (assuming it's possible).

They will when the MB gets a redesign or update. They'll tell everyone it's their greatest innovation yet, and Phil Schiller will come out on stage during its reveal and say "Can't innovate anymore, my ass."

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Hmm - patents take a long time to be seen after filing (18 months) so it may well be Apple has already patented this approach in advance of Griffin - I would be very surprised if they haven't already got their own approach. If they haven't, then fair play to Griffin for getting in there!

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
This is one of those places where the tech reviewers are actually out of touch.

Someone like Andy Ihnatko was thrilled Apple moved to USB-C because he hated how the Magsafe adapter came unplugged.

The reality is, in everyday life, the end user would rather have their device get unplugged than be pulled off a table by a dog, child, or adult. I feel that the USB C move was a step backwards in that regard. Good for Griffin. Hope they sell loads of these.

I suspect Apple ditched Magsafe with the introduction of usb-c because the connector no longer carries just power. The Magsafe connectors detatch constantly. Not a big deal when it's just charging that gets interrupted. A much bigger hassle if it interrupts data transfer or monitor connections.

Why not just have an magnetic adaptor for $9.99 like the one Apple began selling after it went from MagSafe 1 to MagSafe 2 a few years ago? Why the need for a completely new overpriced cable?

The downside of adapters like that is that you now have two small pieces you can potentially lose instead of one, and in the case of the znaps connector, while it looks very slick, the reality is that I'd need one of those adapters everywhere I plug in my device (which for lightning is in a bunch of locations.) The tiny connector is not really intended to come out easily. With the Griffin design I could have one just at the location where the laptop is at the most risk, or just on the main power cord, and the magnetic adapter stays attached to the plug, not the device.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How many people who have commented so far actually own a rMB? Is this a major issue? Are you constantly worried your device is going to go flying off your desk/lap or is it actually happening? Anc are you typically charging the device while using it?

Rygaard

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Denmark
That Apple abandoned the magnetic charger is Crazy - Its like somebody uninvented, Buttons, zippers and velcro at the same time - the magnetic charger has saved 3 different macs about 10 times in total - its crazy what they have done - if they needed to do something they should have added magsafe tec to the USB

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I suspect Apple ditched Magsafe with the introduction of usb-c because the connector no longer carries just power. The Magsafe connectors detatch constantly. Not a big deal when it's just charging that gets interrupted. A much bigger hassle if it interrupts data transfer or monitor connections.
I still feel like the average user gets shortchanged by the USB-C getting pulled off a desk.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
How many people who have commented so far actually own a rMB? Is this a major issue? Are you constantly worried your device is going to go flying off your desk/lap or is it actually happening? Anc are you typically charging the device while using it?

I own one and I think that Magsafe was a great invention for its time and I am definitely a little envious every time I plug in my wife's MBA. Still, I'll take USB-C and the reliability of not interrupting a potential data connection there. The best part for me is that I bought a couple of $7 adapter cables and now I charge my rMB wherever I want without an expensive or bulky power brick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.