Griffin Introduces BreakSafe Magnetic USB-C Power Cable for 12-Inch MacBook

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 4, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Griffin Technology has announced a new BreakSafe Magnetic USB-C Power Cable for the Retina MacBook, which makes up for the lack of Apple's own MagSafe technology on the 12-inch notebook. The six-foot cable is also compatible with other USB-C notebooks like the Chromebook Pixel and will be available in April for $39.99.

[​IMG]

BreakSafe has a patented quick-release magnetic connector that plugs into the Retina MacBook and safely disconnects from the rest of the cable when put under stress or strain -- for example, if someone trips over the power cord. The 12.8mm connector is small enough that it can be left in the USB-C port without using much space.

[​IMG]

The Nashville-based accessory maker also unveiled a wider range of USB-C adapters and three-foot cables, including a USB-C to USB-A adapter ($19.99), USB-C to USB-A cable ($19.99), USB-C to Micro USB cable and USB-C to USB-C cable ($29.99). The adapters and cables are available now through Griffin's website.

Last, Griffin's iMic USB-C audio interface will be available for $49.99 in Q2 2016.

Article Link: Griffin Introduces BreakSafe Magnetic USB-C Power Cable for 12-Inch MacBook

2. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Just a note that Griffin's website appears to be down/broken under the load of this announcement.

3. sza Suspended

Apple's simplified design really complicates the accessories.

4. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Cool idea, but I think that Apple should have built Magsafe directly into the MacBook somehow (assuming it's possible).

5. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Patented? Didn't Apple invent this technology?

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

This is one of those places where the tech reviewers are actually out of touch.

Someone like Andy Ihnatko was thrilled Apple moved to USB-C because he hated how the Magsafe adapter came unplugged.

The reality is, in everyday life, the end user would rather have their device get unplugged than be pulled off a table by a dog, child, or adult. I feel that the USB C move was a step backwards in that regard. Good for Griffin. Hope they sell loads of these.

7. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I don't own a rMB. For those that do is this a real issue? Sometimes I think accessories are a solution in search of a problem.

8. street.cory macrumors 6502

street.cory

The only time I didn't like the MagSafe charger was when I was using the laptop on my lap. Always seemed to fall off.

However, I'd rather it fall off than put stress on the charge port.

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Not in a USB-C cable.

10. Zirel, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016

Zirel Suspended

Zirel

This is what Apple should be putting in the box, and not an optional!

11. jdclifford macrumors 6502

Why not just have an magnetic adaptor for $9.99 like the one Apple began selling after it went from MagSafe 1 to MagSafe 2 a few years ago? Why the need for a completely new overpriced cable?

12. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

apple missed the opportunity, it would be a great addition to the larger iPads as well, being able to have an adapter that could be easily removable instead of being accident prone. but that also could be on the user as well.

13. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

This constant obsession of thinness for the sake of thinness needs to stop.

If Apple were smart they'd keep the MagSafe in their yet-to-be released Skylake MBP's.

14. sw1tcher macrumors 68000

sw1tcher

They will when the MB gets a redesign or update. They'll tell everyone it's their greatest innovation yet, and Phil Schiller will come out on stage during its reveal and say "Can't innovate anymore, my ass."

15. nt5672 macrumors 68000

I think this produce says everything you need to know about Apple as an innovator.

16. CooperBox macrumors 65816

CooperBox

So long as he doesn't come on stage and say that without your last comma..........!

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Not to mention sacrifices security.

18. fzfpff macrumors member

fzfpff

19. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

Hmm - patents take a long time to be seen after filing (18 months) so it may well be Apple has already patented this approach in advance of Griffin - I would be very surprised if they haven't already got their own approach. If they haven't, then fair play to Griffin for getting in there!

20. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I suspect Apple ditched Magsafe with the introduction of usb-c because the connector no longer carries just power. The Magsafe connectors detatch constantly. Not a big deal when it's just charging that gets interrupted. A much bigger hassle if it interrupts data transfer or monitor connections.

The downside of adapters like that is that you now have two small pieces you can potentially lose instead of one, and in the case of the znaps connector, while it looks very slick, the reality is that I'd need one of those adapters everywhere I plug in my device (which for lightning is in a bunch of locations.) The tiny connector is not really intended to come out easily. With the Griffin design I could have one just at the location where the laptop is at the most risk, or just on the main power cord, and the magnetic adapter stays attached to the plug, not the device.

21. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

How many people who have commented so far actually own a rMB? Is this a major issue? Are you constantly worried your device is going to go flying off your desk/lap or is it actually happening? Anc are you typically charging the device while using it?

22. Rygaard macrumors member

Rygaard

That Apple abandoned the magnetic charger is Crazy - Its like somebody uninvented, Buttons, zippers and velcro at the same time - the magnetic charger has saved 3 different macs about 10 times in total - its crazy what they have done - if they needed to do something they should have added magsafe tec to the USB

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

I still feel like the average user gets shortchanged by the USB-C getting pulled off a desk.

24. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I own one and I think that Magsafe was a great invention for its time and I am definitely a little envious every time I plug in my wife's MBA. Still, I'll take USB-C and the reliability of not interrupting a potential data connection there. The best part for me is that I bought a couple of $7 adapter cables and now I charge my rMB wherever I want without an expensive or bulky power brick.