Griffin iPad 2 Case at Best Buy

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by downingp, Mar 11, 2011.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

Did anyone pickup the griffin iPad 2 case at Best Buy? It looks identical to the original iPad 1 case but instead of microfiber it seems to be made of a fake leather. It looks like a good option.
    Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I bought one since they didn't have any of the leather smart covers (I want either navy or red). It's fine...I would say not as well made as the original Apple one but it will work for the time being. Plus I can return it when I get a smart cover (although I'm on the fence because I fear the back will get destroyed without total coverage).

3. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am in the same situation as you. I like the concept of the smart case but am worried about scratching the back of the iPad and am not too excited about spending another $30-$40 on an invisible shield.

4. Rigby macrumors 601

I bought one of the Griffin cases ("Elan Folio Slim"), since I will take the iPad on business trips and didn't feel the Smart Cover provides adequate protection for this. The Griffin is OK. It won't win any design contests, but does the job. Functionally it's a clone of the original Apple iPad case. The cutouts for the ports, buttons, and rear camera are well positioned. The "frame" doesn't sit quite as snug as with the Apple case, but it holds the iPad safely.

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

6. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I saw it and looked it over for 10 seconds before disregarding it. Looked like it should be about 20 dollars max. They really get you with these accessories.. as always.

7. funkeruski macrumors regular

I got it. I agree that it seems to have been slapped together without any attention to detail. I'm hoping Belkin comes out with a Grip Vue for the iPad 2. This Griffin will protect the back until more cases come out, unlike the stupid Apple "case."

8. johnc22 macrumors 6502

I've left the shipping protectors on for now. The smart cover is nothing but a fashion accessory and massive profit vehicle for Apple. Hopefully some decent cases will show up soon. I checked out apple's case for the iPad 1 and wish they'd made another version of this.

9. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Any pics of this case, the Griffin site does not list it.

Thx

10. Rigby macrumors 601

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

12. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

It's $40. It's very much like the original Apple iPad case, except that the fit isn't quite as nice.

For me this case will work until I can find a nicer one. I hope I can keep it in good enough shape to return it when I find something better.

13. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

14. jhawk31 macrumors newbie

Right on! i just picked one up from Best Buy and I am returning it tomorrow. The fit is bad and it makes the iPad look so cheap. I wish they made the original Apple Case for the iPad 2 also. This case looked promising in the packaging... hopefully something else comes out soon bc I would also like a case that covers the back too.

15. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

I have the griffin case. I wouldn't call it a piece of crap, but for what it costs it's not worth it.

16. iserian macrumors 6502

Apple by design did not make the oem case so they can sell the piece of a coverlett. The smart cover is really a pos.

17. Rigby macrumors 601

True, but then cases for gadgets rarely are, especially the first ones out for a new device. I'd say in terms of value for money the Griffin still beats a leather flap with some magnets for $70. :p

For me it'll do until a decent selection of cases is available ...

18. WilliamG macrumors 604

The Griffin Elan Form Slim for iPad 2 really is a pile o' poo. I picked one up at Best Buy today, just as a stopgap for a better product. Its fit is awful, threads hanging off everywhere that I had to cut off, rear camera cutout looks completely amateurish, and the biggest stupidity? There's NO cutout for the ambient light sensor above the camera! Twits!

Honestly, it's like Griffin didn't even have an iPad 2 to get the case right.... (which is likely true, of course!). Anyway, this isn't worth half of $40.

I really do wish Apple had a case like the iPad 1 case...

19. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

Bought one yesterday. It's going back cause it's such a pile.

20. rkulpajr macrumors member

rkulpajr

21. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

22. m1sfit macrumors newbie

I just bought one of these and i have to agree the fit is not the same as the OG ipad case. But to say it is complete garbage is a bit far. IMHO, there isn't a case available, off the shelf, that is equal.

If you need something that will cover the entire ipad 2, it is a great alternative till something better comes out. Just make sure you take advantage of the 30 day return.

I was in a bit of sticker shock when the cashier told me how much it was. Employees really need to start updating the sales prices when the reuse shelf space.

23. cwerdna macrumors 6502