Griffin Motif or Speck PixelSkin HD? And why?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Shakkan, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Shakkan macrumors newbie

Hey,

As the title states, I'm asking to those who saw both the Griffin Motif and Speck PixelSkin HD, what would you choose and why? I placed the order for the Griffin Motif because I saw it in person and thought it was great but the PixelSkin HD is way more popular so I'm having second thoughts.

I'd like to have your input on these two (and only these two please).

Thanks in advance!
    iPhone 4 FTW! :D

2. appview macrumors member

appview

For me the Griffin Motif. Simply because the cut-outs for the volume buttons and vibrate switch are better!

3. Shakkan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input. I assume you tested both? They're the same TPU material right?

4. appview macrumors member

appview

Yes I have tested them. They are both great cases so either would be a good choice. And I think there both TPU.

5. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

PixelSkin HD will protect it better because it's thicker and more durable.

I have neither but I have a TPU case that's nearly identical to the Griffin Motif (it's a Luxury Mobile Argyle) and the Geometric which is the same as the PixelSkin HD but different back.

6. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

When I bought the iPhone here at the Apple Store I needed to get a case right away. I stopped in at one store and they had several Griffin cases. After trying them all on I actually liked the Griffin Motif (smoky) the best as the back looked more discrete than in pictures and had a great feel. This, to me, had the best overall look and feel compared to the other Griffin cases.

The Pixelskin HD? It is no doubt with the rubber a more protective case than the Motif. However, I am not looking for drop protection but merely protection from scratches etc so either will do. As for the looks, the Pixelskin HD has to be one of the fugliest cases available. If I wanted real protection I would get an Otterbox.

Who the hell cares which case is more or less popular? Which case addresses your needs and desires the best is the one to go for.

7. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

Quick follow-up.

The Pixelskin HD and the Motif are NOT the same material. The latter is TPU and the former is a silicon rubber.

Edit: Perhaps I am wrong here. One source says it is TPU and another silicon rubber.

However, from the pictures here the Pixelskin looks very different in finish to the Motif:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/speck-pixelskin-for-iphone-4/

It looks like rubber there even though technically it may not be.

8. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

There's PixelSkin (silicone) and PixelSkin HD (TPU).

9. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

10. Shakkan thread starter macrumors newbie

So the Griffin Motif is thinner eh? Minimal bulk is important to me. Basically, my needs are some back protection and a front lip so that if I put the phone face down, the screen doesn't touch the surface.

Of course, I don't want to base my choice on whatever's most popular, but the popularity of the PixelSkin HD made me reconsider... I'm just wondering why the PixelSkin HD is much more popular than the Motif. To me, the Motif seems the best.

Thanks again for your inputs.

11. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I have a pixelskin HD on order, but from what I've heard I will not be able to use this with my screen protector.

Anyone here tried this case with a screen protector on?

12. appview macrumors member

appview

I think the Pixelskin HD is more popular for 2 reasons.

1) It is made by Speck who are one of the top Case Manufactures.
    2) The Pixelskin was a great success so everyone presumes the Pixelskin HD will be a great success.

13. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

One post I saw somewhere said it lifted their screen protector. For the life of me I can't find it now but if I do I will report back.

14. Kimball macrumors regular

I got the Motif through the case program but it bubbles my screen guard! Mostly the lower part where skin, because of the cut out, is really thin and therefore moves alot during use. Because of this I would NOT recommend the Motif at all if youre using a screen guard even though the feel and all else is good with the case.

15. Shakkan thread starter macrumors newbie

That's good to know, but I'm not using a screen protector this time. I'm working hard to cure my OCD. :D I take care of my stuff anyway. I guess I won't change my order and stay with the Motif as it's thinner and with less functional flaws than the PixelSkin HD.

16. Kimball macrumors regular

Oh yeah, Id be all over this case if I wasnt using a screen protector, the feel and perfect thickness makes it lovely to use :)

17. dragonsnake26 macrumors newbie

I heard this too, but I put on a protector anyways. No bubbles and it's the PS Crystal.