Griffin Powerjolt SE very slow?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Petronas, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Petronas macrumors regular

Does anyone have the issue of the Powerjolt SE car charger being extremely slow to charge the iPhone 4?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

To be honest, mine just stopped working altogether. :(

It was a little slow with my 3GS though, which I think is normal for car chargers.

3. Petronas thread starter macrumors regular

Can anyone recommend me an Apple endorsed car charger that is half decent and charges at similar rates to the wall socket?

4. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

I dont think this is possible. The wall socket voltage is much much much higher than any voltage your car battery could put out. Use a car charger as a "crutch" to pull you through while youre on the road and as soon as you get into your destination, plug it in to a real socket.

5. felt. macrumors 6502a

monoprice sells car charger usb adapters for $1..why would anyone pay $30 for the same thing? :confused:

6. Petronas thread starter macrumors regular

Is charging slowly via a car charger an apple only issue or do all smartphones charge slowly? My nokia 5310 charged at the same rate as a wall socket charger?

7. Petronas thread starter macrumors regular

To give you guys an idea of how slow the powerjolt SE is at charging my iPhone 4, in 5 hours it charged only 37%. This however was while using turn by turn gps navigation at the same time. Is this normal?

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

No, my car charges my laptop while I'm using it faster then that :p While you're driving, the car should be able to charge it at the speed of a wall charger, only while stopped do some cars lower the voltage to prevent the battery from dying

9. Petronas thread starter macrumors regular

10. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have this same charger and actually notice it charges faster than my previous D-LO charger did. Did run into an issue with a faulty fuse however Griffin replaces the unit and now it works great.....for now.

11. daemonite macrumors member

iPhone/iPod car chargers can charge at three different rates.

iPod car chargers - 500mAh
    iPhone car chargers - 1000mAh (1amp)
    iPad car charger - 2100mAh (2.1amp)

I remember my old Griffin powerjolt was an iPod one that supplied only 500mAh, I changed over a generic 1000mAh and now it charges VERY quickly (equal to the wall charger which puts out 1000mAh also)